AceShowbiz - Many were thrilled when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced their new joint Instagram account on April 2. Under the name @sussexroyal, the account had amassed 3.7 million followers and broke the records on the photo-sharing platform for the fastest time to gain one million followers on Instagram as they reached the milestone in just 5 hours and 45 minutes after the account was created.
While most people were celebrating their new account, one user is feeling the repercussions of the royals' new account. A Sussex man named Kevin Keiley claimed that the royal couple stole his Instagram handle.
"I got a jokey text from my son which said, 'Ha ha, I see your handle has gone the," He told Radio 1 Newsbeat. "I thought, 'What's that all about?' He said, 'Look on Instagram.' So I looked on Instagram and suddenly my handle wasn't @sussexroyal anymore, it was @_sussexroyal_. It had been taken."
Keiley explained that he created the handle three years ago "because he supports Reading FC - nicknamed the Royals - and he lives in West Sussex," according to BBC. Keiley further revealed that no one from Instagram or the royal family reached out to him about taking the handle.
It seemed like someone from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's communication team contacted Instagram and discussed the handle. Instagram confirmed to Newsbeat that the handle was considered inactive, so it changed on their part. Per the platform' policies, Instagram can make changes to a name "if it's beeen inactive for a certain amount of time."
However, the platform suggests you to choose "an available version of the username" if "username you want is being used by an account that seems inactive." The help section of the platform says, "You can add periods, numbers, underscores, or abbreviations to help you come up with a username that’s not already in use." But it seems like this suggestion don't apply if you are Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
Keiley revealed that he also had a Twitter account under the same handle and it remains to be the same as of now. "What I'm trying to do is keep tweeting therefore they can’t take it if it’s active," he shared to Newsbeat. "I don't know what the royals are planning down the line."
He also said some words for the soon-to-be parents, saying, "Hello Harry and Meghan. If you do want my Twitter account as well can you at least have the decency to speak to me?"
In related news, Meghan's half-sister Samantha Markle blasted the Duchess once again in a sneak peek for TLC's "Meghan & Harry: A Royal Baby Story". Samantha serves as one of the contributors for the special, joining former "Ladies of London" star Juliet Angus among others.
The contributors are set to discuss what's ahead for the couple and their royal baby in addition to talking about the family drama happening in real time. Samantha is seen slamming Meghan in the clip as she says, "You can't hurt people like this and then turn around and flip the script and play victim."
Howard Lee, president and general manager of TLC, said in a statement, "As the home of all things wedding, all things royal and all things family for viewers in the U.S., it makes perfect sense for TLC to follow this next generation of royals as they journey into the joys of parenthood. We're excited to bring this special to our passionate fans."
"Meghan & Harry: A Royal Baby Story" will air on Tuesday, April 9 at 8 P.M. on TLC.