'Downton Abbey', 'American Horror Story' and 'Fargo' are among winners at the awards show which also honors notable works in commercial/music video and live theater.
AceShowbiz - "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" are among winners at the Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards. In a ceremony which took place on Saturday, February 14, the Wes Anderson-directed film and the James Gunn-directed space adventure movie were handed top prizes. "Hotel" was honored in period and/or character makeup and hairstyling categories, while "Guardians" team was awarded with contemporary makeup and special makeup effect trophies.
"Birdman" was also a winner. Jerry Popolis and Kat Drazen won Best Contemporary Hair Styling at the event which was held at Paramount Studios Theatre.
Apart from movies, other notable works in TV, live theater and commercial/music video were also honored. In TV, "American Horror Story: Freak Show" and "Downton Abbey" were big winners. The former took home three trophies including special makeup effects, best period makeup and best period hair styling, while the latter trailed behind with two.
Makeup artist Rick Baker and hairstylist Kathryn Blondell received Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Saturday event. "All my life, a makeup artist was all I wanted to be. And I guess this (award) means I didn't waste my life doing so," said Baker, who has nabbed multiple Oscars for his work, as quoted by Deadline.
Blondell additionally had some messages in her speech. "You're never an island in this business. Keep creating and respecting your craft," she said.
The Distinguished Artisan Award was handed to director Guillermo del Toro. "The most powerful person on a movie is the make-up artist. Do not f**k with the make-up artist," the "Crimson Peak" helmer said onstage at one point.
Television and New Media Series:
Television Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
- Best Contemporary Make-up: "Sons of Anarchy". Make-Up Artists: Tracey Anderson, Michelle Garbin and Sabine Roller Taylor
- Best Period and/or Character Make-up: "Downton Abbey". Make-Up Artists: Magi Vaughan and Erika Okvist
- Best Special Make-up Effects: "The Walking Dead". Make-Up Artists: Greg Nicotero and Jake Garber
- Best Contemporary Hair Styling: "Dancing with the Stars". Hair Stylists: Mary Guerrero, Kimi Messina and Jennifer Guerrero-Mazursky
- Best Period and/or Character Hair Styling: "Downton Abbey". Hair Stylists: Magi Vaughan and Adam James Phillips
Commercials and Music Videos:
- Best Contemporary Make-up: "Fargo". Make-Up Artists: Gail Kennedy and Joanne Preece
- Best Period and/or Character Make-up: "American Horror Story: Freak Show". Make-Up Artists: Eryn Krueger Mekash and Kim Ayers
- Best Special Make-up Effects: "American Horror Story: Freak Show". Make-Up Artists: Eryn Krueger Mekash, Michael Mekash and Christopher Nelson
- Best Contemporary Hair Styling: "Sherlock". Hair Stylists: Claire Pritchard-Jones and Sarah Astley-Hughes
- Best Period and/or Character Hair Styling: "American Horror Story: Freak Show". Hair Stylists: Monte C. Haught and Michelle Ceglia
- Best Make-up: DIRECTV. Make-Up Artists: Scott Stoddard and Michael Ornelaz
- Best Hair Stylist: Progressive Commercial. Hair Stylist: Dian Bethune Coble
- Best Make-up: "Kinky Boots". Make-Up Artist: Sarah B. Wolfe
- Best Hair Styling: "Motown the Musical", National Tour. Hair Stylist: Brandon Bolton