'The Lego Movie' and 'Boyhood' are also get celebrated, while two Juliette Lewis-starring movies earn their directors special recognition.
AceShowbiz - Organizers at SXSW (South by Southwest) Festival announce winners for this year's Jury Awards. "Fort Tilden" wins Grand Jury prize in narrative category. The film gives a hilariously insightful look at the consequences of extended adolescence as it follows two friends who embark on a lengthy journey on bikes for a carefree Fort Tilden afternoon.
Meanwhile, "The Great Invincible" grabs the top prize in documentary category. It's the first movie that goes beyond the media coverage to examine the infamous Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. It examines the crisis in depth through the eyes of oil executives, survivors and Gulf Coast residents who experienced it first-hand and then were left to pick up the pieces while the world moved on.
Two Juliette Lewis starrers get special recognitions at the annual event. "Kelly & Cal", where she shares screen with Josh Hopkins, earns director Jen McGowan SXSW's special Gamechanger Emergent Woman Director Award, while "Hellion" where she stars opposite Aaron Paul earns director Kat Candler a Special Mention.
The awards were hosted by comedian Jerrod Carmichael at the Paramount Theatre in Austin. Other winners include "The Lego Movie" which receives Special Jury Recognition in SXSW Film Design Awards, thanks to Brian Mah's brilliant work, and Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" which picks up Louis Black "Lone Star" Award.
The Audience Awards will be announced this coming Saturday, March 15 before the festival ends Sunday.
FEATURE FILM JURY AWARDS:
Narrative Feature Competition:
Documentary Feature Competition:
- Grand Jury Winner: "Fort Tilden" (Director: Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers)
- Special Jury Recognition for Courage in Storytelling: "Animals" (Actor & Screenwriter: David Dastmalchian)
- Special Jury Recognition for Best Acting Duo: "10.000 KM (Long Distance)" (Natalie Tena and David Verdaguer)
SHORT FILM JURY AWARDS:
- Grand Jury Winner: "The Great Invisible" (Director: Margaret Brown)
- Special Jury Recognition for Political Courage: "Vessel (2014)" (Director: Diana Whitten)
- Special Jury Recognition for Editing & Storytelling: "Print the Legend" (Directors: Luis Lopez & Clay Tweel)
- Winner: "Quelqu'un d'extraordinaire" (Director: Monia Chokri)
- Special Jury Recognition: "Person to Person" (Director: Dustin Guy Defa)
- Special Jury Recognition for Cinematography: "Krisha" (Director: Trey Edward Shults)
Winner: "Kehinde Wiley: An Economy of Grace" (Director: Jeff Dupre)
Midnight Shorts: Winner: "Wawd Ahp" (Directors: Steve Girard & Josh Chertoff)
Music Videos: Winner: Joel Compass - "Back to Me" (Director: Ian and Cooper)
Texas Shorts: Winner: "Some vacation." (Director: Anne S. Lewis)
Texas High School Shorts: Winner: "Seawolf" (Director: Caila Pickett & Max Montoya)
- Winner: "Coda" (Director: Alan Holly)
- Special Jury Recognition: "Eager" (Director: Allison Schulnik)
SXSW FILM DESIGN AWARDS:
Excellence in Poster Design: Winner: "Starry Eyes" (Designer: Jay Shaw)
Excellence in Title Design:
SXSW SPECIAL AWARDS:
- Winner: "True Detective" (Designer: Patrick Clair for Elastic)
- Special Jury Recognition: "The Lego Movie" (Designer: Brian Mah for Alma Matter)
SXSW Gamechanger Emergent Woman Director Award:
Louis Black "Lone Star" Award: Winner: "Boyhood" (Director: Richard Linklater)
Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellowship: Colin Nusbaum