What kind of house should get a makeover on Halloween? A Haunted House!
The students at the Oregon School for the Deaf have a Halloween haunted house fundraiser that has become known as the "Nightmare Factory." It's always a scary fun time for all. Unfortunately, the Nightmare Factory has become a nightmarishly unsafe place. Without the funds from Nightmare Factory, the school can't stay open. Think that'll scare away Ty and the Extreme Team? No way!
The boys' dorm was designed in the 1950's. Ty, Michael, Paige and John learn that parts of the dorm are seismically unsafe. The students from the school are flown to Minnesota where they get brand new state-of-the-art hearing devices. While there, they get a surprise visit from award-winning actress Marlee Matlin.
The haunted house makeover kicks into high gear with a little help from horror movie man/heavy metal legend Rob Zombie, who shows up in a scary cool car. It's always a plus when you have a zombie helping out on a haunted house.
Michael wants to turn the place into a ghoul school. The focus will be to make the new dorm eco-friendly. Lots and lots of recycling go into the effort and Michael visits a horror movie master who provides him with some cool animatronics for the new haunted house.
Rob Zombie adds his horror insight to the idea of creating a room for a zombie prom. He also suggests having people in suits that match the wall in the hall. This way they can pop out and startle visitors who never knew they were there. The guy knows what scares us. Now, join us as we head into this all new haunted house…if you dare! BUS DRIVER, MOVE THAT HEARSE…UH…BUS!
Here's a breakdown of the new School/Nightmare Factory:
- The new dorm no longer looks like a prison. It has solar panels on one roof and a live "green" roof on another.
- The main area of the dorm features gigantic subwoofers so the kids can feel the vibrations of the music.
- Paige designs a recycled paper room and actually creates a cardboard bed!
- Rob Zombie completes his plan of creating a wall where the scare crew blends right in.
- The main room features a chandelier made out of recycled milk crates. It lights up whenever anyone rings the doorbell.
- There's a cool phone area that allows students to not only communicate through sign, but to also talk to people who don't know sign language.
- Every dorm room has used recycled materials to the max. Some of the bedding was picked out by the parents of the students so that it would feel more like home.
- The new Nightmare Factory is completely horrifying, but in a good way.
- Coffins a stood up in the area where people wait in line to get in to the Nightmare Factory for a frightful photo op.
- Each door inside represents a different themes nightmare, Ghoul School is one of the highlights.
- It's the dance of the dead in the Zombie Prom room with as corpses galore fill the dance floor.
It's time to open the new Nightmare factory to the general public. The scares come fast and furious. The haunted house is a total hit and sure to be a super source for fundraising for many years to come. Welcome home, Oregon School for the Deaf. Welcome home.