February 03, 2011 09:18:58 GMT
'However, it is not entirely up to them. The Hollywood Foreign Press and various other committees need to meet and agree,' Ricky Gervais said.
British funnyman Ricky Gervais has cleared up comments he made claiming he has been asked back to host the next Golden Globes ceremony, insisting he has "no idea" if he will officially receive a request. The comedian wrote in an article for a British magazine that organizers had asked him "to consider a third year" as host of the show, despite causing outrage with his jokes at last month's bash.
His comments prompted Philip Berk, the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) which oversees the Globes, to dispel the reports, saying, "There is no truth to this rumour. We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky." Gervais has now opened up about his remarks, revealing he had in fact spoken to an executive at TV network NBC but not bosses at the HFPA, who would have an overriding say in the presenting gig.
He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "At no point did I talk to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. I'm absolutely sure they don't want me back." Meanwhile, he also took to his online blog to explain the latest round of reports, writing, "The TV show organisers said they were happy with everything and asked me to not rule out a third gig. However, it is not entirely up to them. The Hollywood Foreign Press and various other committees need to meet and agree. I have no idea if they want me back again. It depends whether they care about fifty delicate egos in the room or the 200 million people watching at home who want a laugh."
"Also, even if they did want me back, at the moment I'm pretty sure I shouldn't do it. But I'll tell you this. If they do invite me back and I accept, I'm going to pull exactly the same s**t again or even worse."