February 02, 2011 06:59:16 GMT
After the comedian said he has been asked to reprise his hosting duty for a third time, organizers for Golden Globes set the record straight, insisting the rumor is not true.
Golden Globes organizers have denied inviting Ricky Gervais back to host the 2012 ceremony after he caused controversy with his risque, mean-spirited humor at the prizegiving last month. Philip Berk, the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) which oversees the annual ceremony and telecast, disapproved of the Brit's barbed jibes, labeling Gervais' behavior "totally unacceptable", but the defiant star has refused to apologize for his jokes.
However, in an article written for Britain's Heat magazine this week, the comedian claims he's been asked to return to host the event for a third time in 2012. He wrote, "The ratings went up again, and the organizers asked me to consider a third year. (But) I don't think I should. I don't know what I could do better. I certainly couldn't get more press for them, that's for sure."
But Berk has challenged Gervais over the comments. He says, "There is no truth to this rumor. We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky."