'Again, I hold no regrets, and I can't think of too many players offhand that can walk away and say that,' he said in a statement after Minnesota Vikings lost to Detorit Lions.
Embattled American sports star Brett Favre is hanging up his football boots after 20 years in the game, admitting "it's time" to walk away from the field for good. The Minnesota Vikings football player made the announcement after his team lost to the Detroit Lions on Sunday, January 2, although he sat out the game due to a concussion.
Favre, widely considered to be one of the best quarterbacks of all time, has formally declared his intentions to retire on two previous occasions, in 2008 and 2009, only to return to the sport the following season.
However, the 41 year old insists he is now quitting for good - three months after he was accused of texting explicit images of his manhood to female sports reporter Jenn Sterger, a former employee with his previous team the New York Jets.
Announcing his retirement on Sunday, he said: "I know it's time, and that's OK. It is. Again, I hold no regrets, and I can't think of too many players offhand that can walk away and say that. Individually and from a team standpoint, it was way more than I ever dreamed of. It's been a wonderful experience for me. This year did not work out the way we (Vikings) would have hoped, but that's football. I don't regret coming back. I enjoyed my experience here."
Last week, Favre was fined $50,000 by National Football League (NFL) bosses for "failure to cooperate" with an investigation into the Sterger 'sexting' scandal. He denied Sterger's claims and NFL executives cleared the star of breaching the organization's rules, although he was penalised for not being "candid".