Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem Bound to Help Haiti Until 2015


Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem Bound to Help Haiti Until 2015
The celebrity couple has taken a five-year pledge to donate $50,000 per year until the country which was rocked by earthquake can rebuild schools.


Hollywood couple Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are digging deep to help the victims of earthquake-ravaged Haiti - they've each promised to donate $50,000-a-year until 2015 to rebuild the country's schools.

The Spanish stars joined British writer/director Paul Haggis at his Los Angeles home on Sunday, January 24 when he hosted a celebrity brunch for his charitable organization Artists for Peace and Justice to raise funds for Haiti. Cruz and Bardem were among 100 guests including Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron, Maria Bello and Gerard Butler at the event, where they were treated to a performance by Sheryl Crow, reports People magazine.

The brunch raised $4.5 million for the Caribbean nation's relief effort - including Cruz and Bardem's personal promises to support the country as it works to rebuild its school system. Haggis, who has been doing charity work in Haiti for years, founded Artists for Peace and Justice with a group of friends last year to improve schools and hospitals and help provide locals with access to clean drinking water.

The actress' five-year pledge comes less than two weeks after the "Nine" beauty paid tribute to Haggis at the Golden Globe Awards, when she praised him for snubbing the red carpet to fly to Haiti and help relief workers. She told E! News, "We are very lucky to be here, celebrating cinema... but it's impossible to think about anything else than the terrible disaster that is going on in Haiti."

"Our dear friend Paul Haggis... is on his way there now... I encourage people to look at the website, Artists for Peace & Justice, and to do whatever they can because everything counts, everything will make a difference to somebody else's life."

© AceShowbiz.com


MORE FROM NEWS
Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with *

  random image 
TODAY'S HEADLINES
  1. Tiger Woods and Katharine McPhee Threaten to Sue Porn Site After Nude Photos Leak
  2. Kim Kardashian to Co-Host 'Live' With Ryan Seacrest
  3. George Clooney's Wife Amal Looks Skeletal Just Weeks After Welcoming Twins
  4. Leah Remini Slams 'Diabolical' Tom Cruise, Says He's Not a Good Person
  5. Samuel L. Jackson Returns for 'Shaft' Sequel, Jessie T. Usher Lands Lead Role
  6. These Two Horror Directors in Contention for 'Justice League Dark'
  7. 'Super Troopers 2' Set for 2018, Official Synopsis Revealed
  8. Porn Site Offers to Produce 'Sense8' Season 3
  9. Say What?! Prince William and Harry Have Cameos in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
  10. Chris Pine and Former Fling Olivia Munn May Rekindle Their Romance