WHAT'S HOT?

George Clooney to Direct Phone Hacking Scandal Movie

September 04, 2014 01:44:45 GMT

'Hack Attack' is adapted from a book by journalist Nick Davies who spent six years investigating the Rupert Murdoch scandal.


George Clooney
See larger image
Photo credit: /WENN

George Clooney will step behind the camera for "Hack Attack". The project is based on The Guardian journalist Nick Davies' book of the same name which uncovers Rupert Murdoch's news empire celebrity phone-hacking scandal and results in the closure of the News of the World.

"This has all the elements - lying, corruption, blackmail - at the highest levels of government by the biggest newspaper in London," Clooney said in a statement. "And the fact that it's true is the best part. Nick is a brave and stubborn reporter and we consider it an honor to put his book to film."

Reporters at News of the World used private investigators to illegally gain access to hundreds of mobile phone voicemail accounts belonging to celebrities and ordinary British citizens. After 168 years in the business, the paper issued its very last edition in 2011.

Clooney and Grant Heslov will produce the film under their Smokehouse banner for Sony. Michael De Luca, president of production for Columbia Pictures, will oversee the project for Sony. Shooting is to begin next year.

"As the son of a journalist, George has a sharp interest in the role journalism plays in all of our lives - whether that's for good, as in 'Good Night And Good Luck', or for bad," said De Luca. "With 'Hack Attack', George will explore the dark side of that world, a business where all of the rules of journalism are broken in the race for an easy and ever-larger payday."

Clooney previously also directed "The Ides of March". He was nominated for the Oscars in 2006 for directing "Good Night And Good Luck".

© AceShowbiz.com




Post Your Comments


Screen Name
Please Enter   
Comment
 
 
 
RSS
FB
Twitter