"Fast and Furious 7" announced on Thursday, July 10 it had wrapped up production this month, but a story behind the scene suggested the crew was supposed to film a car stunt scene that day. However, the critical scene was scrapped because it's deemed too risky.
Sources told TMZ that the scene was planned to take place at Willow Springs International Raceway near Palmdale. Vin Diesel and other stars were on set ready for the camera to start rolling, but "a person from the production told some staffers they couldn't get the proper insurance."
The scene was prepared for several days. It was supposed to involve "a souped-up yellow Chevelle" racing another car and dramatically popping a wheel as "bystanders stand right by the track and cheer." Although "authentic street racers" were hired for the scene, "the suits from Universal" thought it's too dangerous.
People at the studio are reportedly "extremely cautious" after what happened to Paul Walker. Although his car accident was not related to the film, they believe a second crash could jeopardize the entire franchise.
"The extras helping us to create the Race Wars scene, are doing such a great job...," Diesel wrote on Facebook just before the production was wrapped. "Really impressed with their spirit, in spite of the scorching desert sun, haha... And to Universal, who made sure we could deliver on the promise, to bring the saga home... where it all began."
Directed by James Wan, the film is due April 3, 2015. Paul had filmed some of his scenes before he died in a tragic car crash last year. After a four-month hiatus, the production resumed with his brothers Caleb Walker and Cody Walker being tapped to help complete his scenes.
They played as stand-ins for Paul on the set with their faces being altered during post-production. "If the VFX team succeeds in their mission, which I know they will, it will no doubt be the first category that receives an Oscar Nomination for 2015," Diesel once boasted.