Lucasfilm and Disney are moving fast at establishing its "Star Wars" franchise. The studio has announced that "The Fantastic Four" helmer Josh Trank will direct another standalone "Star Wars" movie, which details are still kept under wrap.
"We're thrilled to welcome Josh into the family," said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX."
Trank said, "The magic of the 'Star Wars' universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time."
The film will not be part of the upcoming trilogy which will be kicked off by "Star Wars Episode VII" on December 18, 2015 and is currently filming with J.J. Abrams as director. Trank's film is expected to feature characters from the "Star Wars" universe. Disney CEO Bob Iger previously revealed that two of the three confirmed spin-offs might focus on the origin stories of Boba Fett and Han Solo. Rumors also spread of Luke Skywalker and Jedi master Yoda getting their own movies.
Earlier last month, "Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards was announced as the helmer for the other spin-off. He would be directing from a script written by "The Book of Eli" scribe Gary Witta. The untitled stand-alone Star Wars film will be released on December 16, 2016. Iger said they planned to release one "Star Wars" film each year in between the trilogy, therefore it is presumed that Trank's will come in between "Star Wars Episode VIII", which is scheduled for 2017, and "Star Wars Episode IX", which will arrive in 2019.