Fans choose Shawn Christensen's movie as the winner in Narrative Feature Competition and Diego Luna's drama as the favorite in Narrative Spotlight.
More movie winners are announced as South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival is coming to a close on Sunday, March 16. Although missing out the previously-announced Jury Awards, "Before I Disappear" and "Cesar Chavez" still manage to collect an award each as they are named among the winners for Audience prizes.
"Before I Disappear" celebrated fans-voted win in Narrative Feature Competition. Based on 2013 Oscar-winning short film "Curfew", it stars director Shawn Christensen, Fatima Ptacek, Emmy Rossum, Paul Wesley, Ron Perlman, and Richard Schiff. It follows Richie who, at the lowest point of his life, gets a call from his estranged sister, asking him to look after his eleven-year-old niece, Sophia, for a few hours.
Meanwhile Cesar Chavez biopic got a public-voted prize in Narrative Spotlight. Directed by actor Diego Luna, it chronicles the birth of a modern American movement led by famed civil rights leader and labor organizer, Cesar Chavez. The cast includes Michael Pena, Rosario Dawson, John Malkovich, America Ferrera, and Gabriel Mann.
"Vessel" which previously won Special Jury Recognition for Political Courage is now named a winner for Documentary Feature Competition by fans. "True Detective" took home audience award for Excellence in Title Design. The fans' favorite matched judges' as they also gave Jury Award in the category to the project.
- Narrative Feature Competition: "Before I Disappear" (Director: Shawn Christensen)
- Documentary Feature Competition: "Vessel" (Director: Diana Whitten)
- Documentary Spotlight: "DamNation" (Directors: Ben Knight and Travis Rummel)
- Narrative Spotlight: "Cesar Chavez" (Director: Diego Luna)
- Visions: "Yakona" (Directors: Anlo Sepulveda and Paul Collins)
- Midnighters: "Exists" (Director: Eduardo Sanchez)
- Episodic: "Silicon Valley" (Director: Mike Judge)
- SXGlobal: "The Special Need" (Director: Carlo Zoratti)
- Festival Favorites: "The Case Against 8" (Directors: Ben Cotner and Ryan White)
- Excellence in Poster Design: "Big Significant Things" (Designer: Corey Holms)
- Excellence in Title Design: "True Detective" (Designer: Patrick Clair for Elastic)