The network says the ratings of the neo-noir series 'haven't warranted more hours we are eager to work with (series creator) Frank Darabont again.'
TNT is drawing the curtain on "Mob City" after just one-short season. The network announced the show's cancellation on Monday, February 10 after airing all six ordered episodes last December.
A TNT spokesperson said, " 'Mob City' was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama. Although the ratings of the limited series haven't warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of 'Mob City' to life."
The period drama, which reunited former "The Walking Dead" showrunner Darabont and former "Walking Dead" star Jon Bernthal, never took off. The show opened to 2.3 million viewers and continued to go down in the following weeks.
Darabont initially had high hope for the series. "We were never really geared to be a limited miniseries," he said ahead of the show's premiere. "Think of this as a half a season. Just like when we started 'The Walking Dead', that was six episodes - a half a season. It's just the way they're airing it has created this impression that it's a different kind of thing. It's not. We shot these as individual hours just like any hour of television show."
TNT's programming chief Michael Wright also hinted last month that a second season for "Mob City" was possible. "Ratings have been mediocre but the show is great, it was beautifully made, got good reviews and was an attention grabbing show," he told Deadline. "In today's world, it makes sense to make shows that get attention."