The producers of "The Walking Dead" possibly did not check with New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) first before scaring its citizens. An MTA spokesman said they're investigating the zombie prank that the show played last week to promote the return of the AMC series this Sunday, February 9.
The promotional video showed several actors playing zombies lurking beneath a subway grate and scaring New Yorkers who passed by 14th Street at Union Square. Some people who fell victim to the prank could be seen jumping in fear but some laughed it off. The video has received more than 3 million views since it was posted on YouTube last Wednesday.
City officials are investigating the video because MTA considered it troubling. "We are deeply troubled by this video," an MTA spokesman said Sunday. "We have forwarded it to the NYPD and are also conducting our own investigation."
According to city agencies, permits are required for commercial shoots with actors that use public space. The "Walking Dead" prank apparently did not get such permits. AMC is yet to respond to the investigation.