December 28, 2013 06:24:51 GMT
Britney Spears' split from fiance Jason Trawick, 'Argo' big win at Academy Awards, and Justin Timberlake's successful music comeback make the first part of AceShowbiz's Kaleidoscope.
Living under the spotlight for 24/7, Hollywood stars always grab our attention even with the smallest things they do. From their glorious moments to tragic events, all made constant headlines in the past year. As 2013 is nearing its end, AceShowbiz returns with its annual Kaleidoscope to look back at some important stories that went to become talk of the town at the time.
A marriage and a split highlight the first month of the year with and tying the knot as and Jason Trawick calling off their engagement. Following tradition, movie awards shows were honoring the best in the past year in early 2013, capped off with the Oscars which was dubbed the most prestigious event in the industry. In March, 's long-awaited music return became a huge success, scoring one of the biggest first week sales this year.
It was a blissful new year for and who were finally married after calling off their engagement and later went back on together last year. But it wasn't the case for who called it quits with fiance Jason Trawick in mid January. Having shown his continuous support to the pop star, the celebrity agent seemed to be a perfect fit for Britney who was once mentally unstable. There were no cues that hinted their relationship was on the rocks, but suddenly on January 11, they released a statement confirming their break-up. On the same day, she announced her departure from "" after serving as a judge for one season.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Jan 01: married on New Year's Eve.
- Jan 03: 's "" was named the best-selling album, and 's "Somebody I Used to Know" was the best-selling single according to Billboard.
- Jan 05: topped list of 100 hottest women of 2013 by Men's Health.
- Jan 05: "" was named Best Picture of 2012 by National Society of Film Critics.
- Jan 05: , and were among the 2013 Palm Springs Fest honorees.
- Jan 08: drew positive reactions to his surprising comeback following a decade-long hiatus.
- Jan 08: "" moved to its new 11:35 P.M. timeslot on ABC.
- Jan 09: "" won big at the 2013 People's Choice Awards in the movie categories.
- Jan 09: "", "" and "" were among winners at the 2013 People's Choice Awards.
- Jan 09: led 2013 People's Choice Awards winners in music field.
- Jan 10: "" snatched four prizes at the 2013 Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards.
- Jan 11: and Jason Trawick called off engagement.
- Jan 11: announced her departure from "".
- Jan 13: "", "" and "" won multiple prizes at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Jan 13: "" and "" dominated full winner list at the 2013 Golden Globes in the movie categories.
- Jan 13: delivered "coming out" speech at 2013 Golden Globe Awards.
- Jan 15: AMC revived "" after canceling it in July 2012.
- Jan 16: 's boyfriend died from self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- Jan 16: and David Furnish confirmed arrival of their second son Elijah Joseph.
- Jan 17: Anthony Ryan Auld was named the winner of ": All Stars" season 2.
- Jan 18: came clean about doping scandal to .
- Jan 23: and Gerard Pique welcomed baby boy, Milan.
- Jan 25: "Star Wars Episode 7" found its director in J.J. Abrams.
- Jan 25: Liberty Ross filed for divorce from her cheating husband Rupert Sanders.
- Jan 27: "" and "Blood Brother" won big at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.
- Jan 27: "" nabbed best ensemble in drama prize at the 19th Annual SAG Awards.
- Jan 28: "" and "" were big winners at 2013 SAG Awards in the movie categories.
- Jan 29: crashed car after he was targeted in drive-by shooting on his birthday.
The awards season for movie culminated in the 85th annual Academy Awards held in February. Having been recognized in some critics' choice awards, it was no surprise that "" nabbed the highest accolade in film industry by being named the Best Picture at Oscars. It was surely a huge relief after the film's helmer , who was critically lauded for his work in the based-on-true-story movie, was snubbed from the Best Director nomination. In the acting categories, won Best Actor for his title role in "", while snatched the Best Actress trophy for her role in "".
- Other notable events of the month:
- Feb 01: "" and "" were big winners at the 2013 NAACP Image Awards in the movie categories.
- Feb 01: "" was dubbed Outstanding Drama Series at the 2013 NAACP Image Awards.
- Feb 01: and won big at 2013's NAACP Image Awards.
- Feb 03: and reunited for Super Bowl halftime show.
- Feb 03: The Super Bowl XLVII telecast was marred by a power outage.
- Feb 04: "" was named Film of the Year by the 2013 British Film Awards.
- Feb 05: Untitled stand-alone Star Wars films were officially in the works at Disney.
- Feb 05: was officially chosen as the "" leader.
- Feb 08: quit "" following format change.
- Feb 10: nabbed Album of the Year at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards.
- Feb 11: "" claimed coveted prizes at the 2013 BAFTA Awards.
- Feb 13: confirmed the birth of his first child, who arrived in December.
- Feb 13: canceled remaining "Born This Way Tour" to undergo a hip surgery.
- Feb 16: "Child's Pose" won Golden Bear for Best Film at the 2013 Berlin International Film Festival.
- Feb 17: Country singer was found dead at 37 in Arkansas.
- Feb 17: "" and "" won big at the 2013 Writers Guild of America Awards.
- Feb 20: a.k.a. Mel B was tapped as a new judge on "".
- Feb 20: led winner list of 2013 Brit Awards.
- Feb 20: was engaged to girlfriend Lauren Kitt.
- Feb 23: "" won big at the 2013 Independent Spirit Awards.
- Feb 23: "" won seven "worst" titles at the 2013 Razzie Awards.
- Feb 24: "" won Best Picture, "" dominated full winner list at the 2013 Oscars.
- Feb 25: confirmed marriage to Wissam Al Mana.
- Feb 26: Miss Delaware Teen USA Melissa King resigned amid sex tape scandal.
- Feb 27: ": Seattle" crowned Kristen Kish as the winner.
- Feb 27: won NME's Best Live Band award, while was named the worst band.
- Feb 27: announced his engagement to his longtime lover Brittany Lopez.
- Feb 28: "" was canceled after five seasons.
The timing was right, the anticipation was high, and the music was perfectly composed. Those were perhaps the formula that made 's "" a huge success, both critically and commercially. Produced in collaboration with , Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon and Rob Knox, the third studio album by the former member boasted a collaboration with rapper , "Suit & Tie". When it was finally dropped in stores on March 11, the album sold fast. In its first week only, it sold 968,000 copies, exceeding initial expectation of 500,000 copies. It subsequently debuted at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 200 chart and became the fastest-selling album in iTunes history for a record's opening week worldwide.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Mar 01: Bonnie Franklin died of pancreatic cancer at 69.
- Mar 03: got engaged to her longtime boyfriend James Watson.
- Mar 05: gave birth to her first child.
- Mar 06: was "devastated" by Valerie Harper's cancer diagnosis.
- Mar 06: scored first No. 1 album on Billboard 200 with "".
- Mar 07: got his star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Mar 10: cut short their Sydney concert after lead singer Vince Neil had to be abruptly taken to a hospital due to kidney stone issue.
- Mar 11: Sean Lowe proposed to Catherine Giudici on "" season 17 finale.
- Mar 11: A 12-year-old boy admitted to swatting prank on 's home in December 2012.
- Mar 14: "Jurassic Park IV" got "" helmer Colin Trevorrow as its director.
- Mar 14: topped Forbes' 2013 list of most influential celebrities.
- Mar 15: Reports emerged that and had split due to busy schedule.
- Mar 16: "" and "" were among TV winners at 24th annual GLAAD Awards.
- Mar 18: ": Challenge America" announced Danni Allen as the winner.
- Mar 18: was ordered to spend 90 days in jail for misdemeanor charges related to a June 2012 car crash.
- Mar 20: and 's engagement was confirmed.
- Mar 20: announced his plan to take a break from acting.
- Mar 21: only served 9 hours of his 55-day jail sentence.
- Mar 22: went public with new boyfriend David Lucado.
- Mar 22: debuted new single, "Microphone", after a decade break from music.
- Mar 23: "" was voted as the Favorite Movie at the 2013 Kids' Choice Awards.
- Mar 24: , and won big in music field at 2013 Kids' Choice Awards.
- Mar 24: and "" won at Nickelodeon's 2013 Kids' Choice Awards.
- Mar 24: "" and "" won big at the 2013 Empire Awards.
- Mar 26: confirmed reconciliation with lip-lock.
- Mar 26: 's "" debuted with 968,000 copies on Billboard Hot 200.
- Mar 27: was named Forbes' wealthiest hip-hop artist in 2013, edging out .
- Mar 28: was confirmed to return to "" season 3.
- Mar 28: and welcomed daughter Lincoln Bell Shepard.
- Mar 28: welcomed Daughter Ava Berlin.
- Mar 29: Lifetime canceled "America's Most Wanted".