CBS News is 'currently looking into this serious matter to determine' if their source misled them and 'will make a correction' if necessary.
"60 Minutes" is reviewing an October 27 report on the Benghazi attacks after receiving new information that contradicts the account told by their source. In a statement released on Thursday night, November 7, CBS News said, "We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction."
The network previously stood by Lara Logan's story which relied on information from a witness identified in the story as one Morgan Jones. The source's actual name is Dylan Davies, a British security contractor who worked for Blue Mountain.
Davies told different versions of the events. In an official report, he wrote that he was not actually present during the attack. Later in his "60 Minutes" interview and a memoir, he said that he arrived at the embassy, where he was supervisor of the local guards protecting the mission, as the attack raged on September 11, 2012 and saw the body of the deceased ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens.
Davies, however, has denied that he wrote the official report and said he had never even seen it. "I am just a little man against some big people here. They can do things, make up things, anything they want, I wouldn't stand a chance," Davies told The Daily Beast, alleging that the State Department leaked the report, which had not been previously published.
Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News and executive producer of "60 Minutes," said after learning the contradicting information, "We're surprised to hear about this, and if it shows we've been misled, we will make a correction."