George Clooney set the record straight on the reason behind the "The Monuments Men" postponement. The Wrap just unearthed an interview, done earlier this month before the delay was announced, wherein he allegedly said he had problem with the tone of the film. But the "Gravity" star insisted that's not the case.
Clooney told Deadline in a phone chat from the Abbey Road Studios in London where he worked on the movie's score that he was misquoted. "I was talking awhile ago about 'Gravity', she [the journalist] says how's it going on 'Monuments Men' and I say, it's a tricky tone, and she writes this piece that the movie is in trouble over tone. She doesn't call me, and it's absolutely ridiculous and false," he explained.
He went on to stress his previous statement that he simply couldn't finish the visual effects, "Last night we had a nice meeting and said, let's be honest. We're not going to get our effects done in time. As hard as we're working, the truth of the matter is, we only started principal photography on this in March. So the idea we'd have all the effects ready was a stretch anyway."
Clooney added, "And we didn't make it. It's that simple. It's certainly not about tone of the film, because it's testing through the roof. We said, let's just find a spot where the movie can find an actual audience instead of fighting with 22 other films in December."
Another thing that he took into consideration was his hectic schedule because he would be shooting Disney's "Tomorrowland". He reasoned, "I wasn't going to be able to do much publicity for Monuments Men, which certainly factored into us saying, why are we running like crazy to get this out for a Christmas release, when that has become all about chasing Oscars?"
Led, directed, co-produced and co-written by Clooney, "The Monuments Men" was originally scheduled for December 18 this year before being moved to early 2014. An exact new date hasn't been announced.