September 20, 2013 01:10:50 GMT
The former 'Jon and Kate Plus 8' star says it was 'next to nearly impossible to find work' because his brush with fame ruined his reputation.
Jon Gosselin has quite a change in his life after his TV stardom was over. From living a high life and partying in Las Vegas, the former TLC reality star is now waiting tables. He serves as a waiter at a restaurant in his home state of Pennsylvania.
Jon previously denied he had the job when it was first reported by National Enquirer, claiming that he was just volunteering. Now he mans up and admits to Entertainment Tonight that he does work in a local eatery called Black Dog in Beckersville.
The father of eight utters, "[It's] next to nearly impossible to find work." He says his reputation was ruined by how he was portrayed on the TV show which ended following his very-public cheating scandal and messy divorce with his ex Kate Gosselin.
"At first I was nervous because I was like, 'How are people going to react?' " Jon opens up. "But then I'm thinking, 'Well it's fun and I get to talk to people.' And they technically already know me. So they're like, 'Oh, are you the guy?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I'm the guy.' "
While his former wife Kate and their eight children stayed at their $1.3 million home in Pennsylvania, he moved out and now lives in a cabin in the woods with no internet and no TV. Despite the modest life he's living now, he insists that he's doing OK.
"I don't know why people said that [I struggle]. You know why they said it? They said it because I'm waiting tables, which is really disgusting -- to think that because you wait tables or because you do different things or because you don't have an 8-5 job, you're making ends meet?"
"I [party] now on a different level," Jon adds. "I've hit rock bottom like 20 times and then I've just bounced back. I can go somewhere else." He continues, "I don't regret anything because you learn from your mistakes. That's what builds you to who you are today."
Jon also talks about his relationship with Kate post their divorce four years ago. "I don't have a relationship with Kate. There is no relationship. Text and email. That's it," he says. "The nanny comes out and I exchange the kids at her gate or at the bus stop," he elaborates. "I don't physically see her."
The former "Jon & Kate Plus 8" star says he sees his kids once a week for dinner and they would spend the night in his place every other weekend. Though he doesn't pay child support, the 36-year-old insists both he and Kate support their kids financially.
"She takes care of school and all that stuff, but I take care of the exact same things she takes care of," the former TV star explains. "I buy their own groceries. They have their own groceries at my house, their own bedrooms, their own stuff. It's doubled."
Jon, who once worked as a construction worker in 2011, dismisses the notion that he made millions of dollars when they were on the show. "I was living the high life because everyone was paying for it, and I had to earn income to pay for my legal fees," he says.
"I don't go to Vegas and New York. I went there so I could earn income to pay my attorneys, to protect me in court," the ex-TV star explains further, referring to the numerous sightings of him enjoying a jet-set life with friends even after the show was over.
Jon did have his hands full with legal woes. Aside from his divorce battle with Kate, he was sued by TLC in 2009 for alleged breach of contract over paid and unpaid TV appearance. He argued back then that the contract was null and void once the network renamed the show "Kate Plus 8".
Most recently, he was slapped with a lawsuit by Kate. He was accused of conspiring with tabloid writer Robert Hoffman who wrote "Kate Gosselin: How She Fooled the World" to hack into her phone and computer to find dirt for the tell-all book.