September 03, 2013 00:58:58 GMT
The 'Behind the Candelabra' actor says his separation from his actress wife is exaggerated, denying marriage crisis rumors.
Michael Douglas finally breaks silence on the swirling rumor that he is on the verge of calling off his marriage to Catherine Zeta-Jones. The 68-year-old star addressed the rumor when speaking to reporters while in Berlin to promote his movie "Behind the Candelabra".
"I have a crisis at home? No, I think the press has a crisis," he said. "We, we are fine. My wife and I are, are fine." He admitted that they did take some time apart but insisted it was not catastrophic. "We take a temporary separation, but the press... it gives you stuff to write about."
It was previously reported that the stress between Douglas' throat cancer battle and Zeta-Jones' struggle with bipolar II disorder "has taken a toll on their marriage." The couple married in 2000. They have two children together, Dylan, 13, and Carys, 10.
Douglas kept his wedding ring on while in Europe for his promotional duty at the 2013 Deauville American Film Festival. Meanwhile, Zeta-Jones hasn't been seen in public since their separation report broke out. She reportedly stays in their home in New York.