Chris Brown has canceled his four upcoming concerts in Canada. The 24-year-old controversial R&B singer has been dropped as the headliner at the Energy Rush festival in Halifax, Toronto, Saint John and Winnipeg, which was supposed to be held later this month.
Stephen Tobin, owner of Drop Entertainment Group, has confirmed the news. He said in a statement issued on Monday, August 19, that the decision was made "in light of the performer's recent personal and health-related issues." He also said that the festival couldn't go ahead without a headliner, so it had been postponed until next year.
Nicole Perna, Brown's publicist, said that Brown regretted the axed performances. "Chris appreciates the support of his many thousands of fans north of the border," she said in a statement. "He is going to use this time to focus on himself and on the release of his upcoming album. Chris looks forward to performing in Canada very soon."
The cancellation came a few days after Brown was court-ordered to perform 1,000 hours of community labor stemming from an alleged hit-and-run accident he was involved in back in June. The "Fine China" singer also suffered a seizure earlier this month.
The cancellation also coincidentally came after some sponsors, including Rogers Communications Inc. and Molson Coors Brewing Co., decided not to support the concerts after Brown was announced as a performer.
"Our agreement to continue sponsorship of the series was made before Chris Brown's appearance was announced," Rogers spokeswoman Heather Robinson said. "However, as soon as he was confirmed as one of eight performers, we decided to withdraw our sponsorship."