Rap star 50 Cent was supposed to appear at a branch of U.K. retail giant Argos in Birmingham, England on Monday, July 8 to promote his line of SMS Audio headphones. However, it got cancelled after the "Street King Immortal" artist was charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend and thrashing her home in Toluca Lake, Los Angeles.
The ex-girlfriend, with whom 50 Cent had been in a three-year relationship and has a baby, told police that during a June 23 argument inside her condo, he allegedly started destroying about $7,100 worth of her property and after the woman locked herself in her bedroom, he kicked the door down and her as well. The 38-year-old rapper, who is set for a July 22 arraignment, could face up to five years in prison and $46,000 in fines should he be found guilty of domestic violence and vandalism.
50 Cent's lawyer has denied the charges. His team is said to be conducting their own investigation on the accusations. But despite the denial, the hip-hop star is already feeling the heat caused by the assault allegations, as he was immediately dropped from MLB.com's upcoming All-Star Bash in New York City amid the allegations of violence.
The "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" recording artist was lined-up to perform at the Roseland Ballroom on July 14 along with record producer and DJ Kaskade. But the event's updated Facebook page has removed his name from the bill and in its place, "surprise performances" will instead take place.