June 26, 2013 07:07:25 GMT
Mathew Knowles files a lawsuit to seek unspecified damages, alleging defamation and breach of contract after The Sun reported that he had been cut out of Beyonce's life.
Mathew Knowles has filed a lawsuit against British media outlet The Sun to seek unspecified damages for alleged defamation and breach of contract. In a statement to E! News, Mathew claims that The Sun "knowingly and maliciously misrepresented [his] relationship with his daughter, Beyonce Knowles, and with his granddaughter," Blue Ivy.
In a March 24, 2013 article, The Sun stated following the headline, "Former manager talks about family rift for first time," and added that "Mathew Knowles has reportedly not yet met Blue Ivy." The story read further, "Although he insists the decision to go their separate ways was mutual, Mathew, 61, is hurt that Beyonce has cut him out of her life." Mathew, however, objected the assertions.
"My daughters and my family mean the world to me," Mathew said. "The barrage of repeated falsehoods spawned by the British Sun's defamatory article has been exhausting and personally damaging to me. No matter how many papers it sells or web hits it generates, The Sun, like any newspaper, needs to maintain a basic level of journalistic integrity. The Sun crossed the line when it went after my family. The Sun needs to be held responsible for its lies in a court of law. This happens too often to too many people, and it is simply unfair," he added.
Mathew had been managing Beyonce since the start of her musical career. The mother of one ended their business partnership later in 2011. "He is my father for life and I love my dad dearly," Beyonce said at that time, adding that they went separate ways "only on a business level."
Her father issued a similar statement, saying that the decision "was mutual." He continued, "We did great things together, and I know that she will continue to conquer new territories in music and entertainment."