Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are expected to return to the follow-up to the 2012 sci-fi.
As "Prometheus" Damon Lindelof has made it clear that he won't be back to untitled Prometheus sequel, Fox now sets eyes on "Transcendence" scribe. Variety learns that Jack Paglen enters negotiations with the studio to talk about his chance of giving ideas and turning it all into a solid screenplay for the sequel to Ridley Scott's 2012 film.
While Scott, who directed Russell Crowe in rom-com "A Good Year", will serve as a producer again under Scott Free banner, it is still unknown whether the second film will be his next directing vehicle or not. Original stars Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are expected to reprise their roles as Elizabeth Shaw and David respectively.
Earlier this year, Lindelof told Collider about why he decided not to be involved in the second film. "The idea of building a sequel to it - from the ground up this time - with Ridley is tremendously exciting. But at the same time, I was like, 'Well that's probably going to be two years of my life,' " he said.
"I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, 'I really don't think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don't know when the other stuff [Tomorrowland] is going to be done' ... But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don't see myself being involved in Prometheus-er."
As for the sequel's plot details, Lindelof coyly shared to The Hollywood Reporter, "This movie has two children: One of these children grows up to be 'Alien' [referring to Scott's 1979 sci-fi], but the other child is going to grow up, and God knows what happens to them. And that's what the sequel to 'Prometheus' would be."
*UPDATE (Jun. 19, 2013): Chelsey Summey, Twentieth Century Fox's Executive Director of Corp Comm, has confirmed that Jack Paglen has been hired to work on the "Prometheus" sequel.