The 'Forrest Gump' actor receives a nomination for his leading role in 'Lucky Guy' while the 'Time After Time' singer's music for 'Kinky Boots' is listed as a contender for Best Original Score.
The nominations in 26 categories for the 67th Annual Antoinette Perry "Tony" Awards were revealed on April 30 in New York. Broadway newcomers Tom Hanks and Cyndi Lauper, who receive one nomination each at the awards show which began in 1947, reacted with joy to the happy news.
"Yes, I'm surprised, and delighted. This is a great day for all of us; I'm just thrilled to be in this thing, in 'Lucky Guy'," said Hanks. The Oscar-winning actor receives his first Tony nod for his leading role in the Broadway play about the life of the colorful Pulitzer Prize-winning New York tabloid columnist Mike McAlary. The Nora Ephron play itself earns 6 nods in total.
Similar to Hanks, Lauper receives her first Tony nomination for composing "Kinky Boots" music. The '80s pop diva immediately took to Twitter to give her reactions. "OmG! OMG!! wow we got nominated!! @KinkyBootsBway !!! OMG!!!" she wrote, before continuing, "I'm crying and jumping up and down! I can't believe it so excited! @KinkyBootsBway !! So proud to be part of this! Thank you Harvey!xxx."
From the announcement of this year's Tony Awards read by Sutton Foster and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, it's revealed that "Kinky Boots" about a real-life struggling shoe factory leads with a total of 13 nominations. Roald Dahl's novel-adapted "Matilda The Musical", meanwhile, comes as a strong rival by receiving 12 nods. The two plays are up for best musical, best musical actor and best musical actress among other categories.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony on June 9 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. The reception, hosted by the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing, will be broadcast live on CBS.
Selected nominees in the major categories are in the following list. The complete list can be found on official Tony website.
- "The Assembled Parties"
- "Lucky Guy"
- "The Testament of Mary"
- "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike"
- "Bring It On: The Musical"
- "A Christmas Story, The Musical"
- "Kinky Boots"
- "Matilda The Musical"
- "A Christmas Story, The Musical" Music and Lyrics: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- "Hands on a Hardbody" Music: Trey Anastasio and Amanda Green Lyrics: Amanda Green
- "Kinky Boots" Music and Lyrics: Cyndi Lauper
- "Matilda The Musical" Music and Lyrics: Tim Minchin
- Tom Hanks - "Lucky Guy"
- Nathan Lane - "The Nance"
- Tracy Letts - "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
- David Hyde Pierce - "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike"
- Tom Sturridge - "Orphans"
- Laurie Metcalf - "The Other Place"
- Amy Morton - "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
- Kristine Nielsen - "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike"
- Holland Taylor - "Ann"
- Cicely Tyson - "The Trip to Bountiful"
- Bertie Carvel - "Matilda, The Musical"
- Santino Fontana - "Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella"
- Rob McClure - "Chaplin"
- Billy Porter - "Kinky Boots"
- Stark Sands - "Kinky Boots"
- Stephanie J. Block - "The Mystery of Edwin Drood"
- Carolee Carmello - "Scandalous"
- Valisia LeKae - "Motown, The Musical"
- Patina Miller - "Pippin"
- Laura Osnes - "Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella"