The three acts bags 11 nominations each while Rihanna, Carly Rae Jepsen and One Direction trail close behind.
As the 2013 Billboard Music Awards announced this year's complete rundown of nominees, superstar acts Taylor Swift, Maroon 5 and Fun. end up on the top of the list, earning nominations in 11 different categories. The winners will be revealed during the star-studded ceremony that will take place on Sunday, May 19 live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Swift and the Adam Levine-fronted pop rock band will vie for the Top Artist award as the Nate Ruess-led indie rock group competes for the Top Hot 100 Artist and Top Duo/Group trophies. Swift is riding on the blockbuster success of her "Red" album, while Fun. is still reeling from the popularity of their chart-topping single "We Are Young", with Maroon 5 having their own slew of hit songs this year with "Payphone", "Daylight", and "One More Night".
Following close behind with 10, 9 and 8 nominations respectively are Barbadian princess Rihanna, "Call Me Maybe" hit singer Carly Rae Jepsen and global boyband One Direction. RiRi is also up for the Top Artist award while Jepsen's viral hit "Call Me Maybe" is competing in the Top Hot 100 Song, Top Pop Song, Top Digital Song and Top Radio Song categories. The 1D heartthrobs are also included in the Top Artist nominees and will be facing off Jepsen, PSY, Gotye and The Lumineers for the Top New Artist title.
A notable addition at this year's edition of the BBMA is the EDM categories, with David Guetta, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia and deadmau5 fighting for the Top EDM Album prize, while Baauer's "Harlem Shake", Calvin Harris' "Feel So Close" and Swedish House Mafia's "Don't You Worry Child" featuring John Martin are singled out for the Top EDM song recognition.
Additionally, this year's Billboard Music Awards will present the inaugural Milestone Award for "an innovative artist that achieved a notable chart milestone over the past year." Taylor Swift is up against Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars for the honor, with the winner to be decided based on fans votes.
2013 Billboard Music Awards Nominations
- "21", Adele
- "Overexposed", Maroon 5
- "Take Me Home", One Direction
- "Up All Night", One Direction
- "Believe", Justin Bieber
- "Fortune", Chris Brown
- "Girl on Fire", Alicia Keys
- "Channel Orange", Frank Ocean
- "Unapologetic", Rihanna
- "Looking 4 Myself", Usher
- "Based on a T.R.U. Story", 2 Chainz
- "good kid, m.A.A.d city", Kendrick Lamar
- "The Heist", Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded", Nicki Minaj
- "God Forgives, I Don't", Rick Ross
- "Night Train", Jason Aldean
- "Tailgates & Tanlines", Luke Bryan
- "Tuskegee", Lionel Richie
- "Red", Taylor Swift
- "Blown Away", Carrie Underwood
- "Some Nights", Fun.
- "The Lumineers", The Lumineers
- "Babel", Mumford & Sons
- "My Head Is an Animal", Of Monsters and Men
- "The World From the Side of the Moon", Phillip Phillips
- "Lights", Ellie Goulding
- "Call Me Maybe", Carly Rae Jepsen
- "One More Night", Maroon 5
- "Payphone", Maroon 5
- "Locked Out of Heaven", Bruno Mars
- "Girl on Fire", Alicia Keys feat. Nicki Minaj
- "Adorn", Miguel
- "Thinkin Bout You", Frank Ocean
- "Diamonds", Rihanna
- "Heart Attack", Trey Songz
- "Wild Ones", Flo Rida feat. Sia
- "Whistle", Flo Rida
- "Mercy", Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T, 2 Chainz
- "Thrift Shop", Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz
- "Gangnam Style", PSY
- "Drunk on You", Luke Bryan
- "Springsteen", Eric Church
- "Cruise", Florida Georgia Line
- "Wanted", Hunter Hayes
- "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," Taylor Swift
- "Titanium", David Guetta feat. Sia
- "Harlem Shake", Baauer
- "Starships", Nicki Minaj
- "Gangnam Style", PSY
- "Where Have You Been", Rihanna