An academy spokesperson responds to a report of the 'Family Guy' creator returning to host next year's Oscars, saying it is 'way too early' and there is no candidate approached at the moment.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has released a statement to address speculation on 2014 Oscar host. The organization shoots down a report that Seth MacFarlane, the controversial host of this year's Academy Awards, has been approached to return to host the 2014 Oscars.
"Given the fact that we just confirmed Craig Zadan and Neil Meron to produce, we understand how people might speculate in that fashion," an Academy spokesperson says. "But it's really way too early to have any idea who our host might be in 2014."
On April 18, Just Jared reported that "sources close to the comedian" revealed MacFarlane had been given "couple of weeks" to consider the offer from producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. However, a rep for the "Family Guy" creator refused to comment on the report.
Despite drawing 40.3 million total viewers, the 2013 Oscars drew criticisms because host MacFarlane made controversial jokes on sensitive social issues. Zadan and Meron defended their host, saying that the 39-year-old gagman was "irreverent" and had done the job he had been hired to do.
After finishing his Oscars hosting gig, the brother of voice actress Rachael MacFarlane said that the gig was a one-time thing. When asked by a fan whether he would return to host next year's prize-giving event, he tweeted, "No way. Lotta fun to have done it though."
The Academy has recently announced that the 2014 Academy Awards will be held on March 2. The 2014 ceremony is pushed back due to the Olympics.