March 23, 2013 02:42:22 GMT
The 'Twilight' star managed to escape from the blaze that was reportedly caused by an unattended candle.
Ashley Greene's West Hollywood apartment was up in flames on Friday morning, March 22. The "Twilight" actress, her unnamed boyfriend and brother were asleep when an unattended candle reportedly set the living room sofa on fire.
Awakened by the fire, Greene escaped from the burning apartment with her brother and boyfriend. Learning that her two fox terrier dogs were still inside, the two men went back to save the dogs, but could not re-enter.
The incident triggered a huge emergency response, with 55 firefighters working at the scene and 10 ambulances parked down the street. Los Angeles Fire Department Inspector Johnson confirmed that the crew members were dispatched at 9:50 A.M. "We made an aggressive fire attack. Our team saw smoke and fire coming from the third floor," he told RadarOnline. "We have reports of two patrons that were burned, so they were treated by the paramedics and sent to the hospital."
An eyewitness described the incident as being like a scene from a disaster movie. "All of a sudden police rushed to close the street, blocking both ends. Then fire trucks started roaring down the street," Sam Nolan told MailOnline. "All you could see was black smoke... It was like a disaster film, I thought I'd become part of a Day After Tomorrow."
One dog died at the scene of the fire. After bringing the fire under control by 10:07 A.M. PST, the firefighters found the dead pet under the actress' bed. The other dog was later rescued and rushed to be treated to Animal Control. It's not clear if the dead dog was Carlo, the one that had often been seen carried by the actress on sets over the past few years.
The three people suffered minor injuries, but refused to be hospitalized.