Destin Daniel Cretton takes home the award for best narrative feature at the 2013 South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival.
Destin Daniel Cretton's "Short Term 12" earned another prize at the 2013 South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival. After winning the Jury Award for Narrative Feature on March 12, it snatched the Audience Award for the same category, on March 16.
Starring Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr. and Kaitlyn Dever, "Short Term 12" follows a young woman named Grace who works as a supervisor at a foster-care group home. The warm critical response from the SXSW audience led this movie to be chosen as the best Narrative Feature film. Of winning the SXSW Jury Award, Cretton said, "This is so crazy emotional."
Other Audience Award winners include "The Short Game", Josh Greenbaum's film about 7-year-old golfers' quest to become great golfers, and "An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story", Al Reinert's film about Morton's journey from despair to exoneration. "The Short Game" nabbed the award for Documentary Feature category. Meanwhile, "An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story" won the award for Documentary Spotlight category.
The 20th SXSW Audience Award winners:
- Narrative Feature Competition: "Short Term 12" by Destin Daniel Cretton
- Documentary Feature Competition: "The Short Game" by Josh Greenbaum
- Documentary Spotlight Competition: "An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story" by Al Reinert
- Narrative Spotlight: by Jillian Schlesinger
- Midnighters: "Cheap Thrills" by E.L. Katz
- 24 Beats per Second: "A Band Called Death" by Mark Christopher Covino and Jeff Howlett
- SXGlobal: "The Punk Syndrome" by Jukka Karkkainen and J-P Passi
- Festival Favorites: "The Crash Reel" by Lucy Walker
- Excellence in Poster Design: "Kiss of the Damned" by Akiko Stehrenberger, Gravillis Inc
- Excellence in Title Design: "Chasing Shakespeare" by Lucky Post
SXSW Film Design Awards