MGK is named Woodie of the Year, Earl Sweatshirt takes home Breaking Woodie, while duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis grabs Branching Out Woodie.
This year's mtvU Woodie Awards announced its winners at the South by Southwest Festival in Austin, Texas Thursday, March 14. Machine Gun Kelly grabbed the top prize, Woodie of the Year, beating the likes of A$AP Rocky, Fun. and 2013's MTV Hottest MC Kendrick Lamar.
"As many dark times that we've had, the fans have always shown me the light and I'm ready to take on the world with them," rapper MGK said after winning the top prize. "No quote can describe my gratitude. F**king thank you! Lace up."
MGK took home Breaking Woodie last year. The award went to Earl Sweatshirt of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All this year. He won it over The Lumineers, Dillon Francis and Twenty One Pilots among other new artists.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, who made history with their No. 1 single "Thrift Shop", got Branching Out Woodie, pushing aside Amanda Palmer, Avicii, Deadmau5, Jack White and The xx.
The duo also performed during the awards showcase at the SXSW along with Twenty One Pilots, Zedd and Haim. Chart-topping rapper T.I. also stopped by, surprising the crowd as he joined Travi$ Scott on stage.
The awards will air Sunday, March 17 at 8/7c on MTV & mtvU.
- Woodie of the Year: Machine Gun Kelly
- Best Video Woodie: Danny Brown - "Grown Up"
- FOMO Woodie: The Weeknd
- Tag Team Woodie: Kimbra ft. Mark Foster and A-Trak - "Warrior"
- Breaking Woodie: Earl Sweatshirt
- Branching Out Woodie: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- College Radio Woodie: KSUA University of Alaska - Fairbanks
- Chevrolet Sonic College Artist Woodie: The Lonely Biscuits - Belmont University