The legendary band and Florence Welch are among this year's NME awardees, but Harry Styles and his band mates may not be amused with their trophy.
Legendary rock band The Rolling Stones added another feather to their cap when they won the Best Live Band award at the just concluded 2013 NME Awards that took place at London's Troxy events place. They also brought home the NME trophy for Best Music Film for "Crossfire Hurricane".
Another double winner that night was Florence and the Machine's lead singer Florence Welch, who bagged the Best Solo Artist award in spite of the fact that she's still very much a part of the English indie rock band. She sure took time to thank her band mates for their help in making her albums which she described as "very collaborative". She also shared the Best Dancefloor Anthem award with Calvin Harris for their collaboration "Sweet Nothing".
Welch also received a third trophy, but that one she accepted only on behalf of its actual recipients, The Maccabees. The indie rock band was supposed to personally go up onstage to accept their Best Album award for their third album "Given to the Wild" but was unfortunately stranded in an airport on their way to the awards.
The night, however, wasn't the proudest moment for One Direction. The British-Irish band was named Worst Band, and one of its members, Harry Styles, was chosen as Villain of the Year.
Best British Band winner Biffy Clyro opened the show with their performance of "The Captain". Rock trio The Cribs also performed that night, dishing out their hit "Mirror Kissers", aside from accepting the Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution to Music award.
2013 NME Awards Complete Winners List
- Best British Band: Biffy Clyro
- Best Album: "Given to the Wild" - The Maccabees
- Best International Band: The Killers
- Best Track: "Inhaler" - Foals
- Best TV Show: "Fresh Meat"
- Best Music Film: The Rolling Stones - "Crossfire Hurricane"
- Best Re-Issue: "21" - Blur
- Best Solo Artist: Florence Welch
- Best New Band: Palma Violets
- Best Music Video: "R U Mine?" - Arctic Monkeys
- Best Festival: Reading & Leeds Festivals
- Best Live Band: The Rolling Stones
- Best Dancefloor Anthem: "Sweet Nothing" - Calvin Harris featuring Florence Welch
- Best Twitter: Alana Haim, Haim (@babyhaim)
- Best Book: Mike Skinner - "The Story of the Streets"
- Music Moment of the Year: Olympics opening ceremony
- Hero of the Year: Barack Obama
- Villain of the Year: Harry Styles
- Best Small Festival: Festival No.6
- Worst Band: One Direction
- Best Fan community: Muse
- Best Film: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
- Philip Hall Radar Award: The Child of Lov
- Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution Award: The Cribs
- Godlike Genius: Johnny Marr
- Hottest Man: Matthew Bellamy
- Hottest Woman: Amy Lee