February 05, 2013 04:09:30 GMT
Director Rich Moore dishes that Tron was originally set for the first movie, but since the plan didn't go well, he aims to include the famed video game character in the upcoming sequel.
After winning big at the 2013 Annie Awards, "Wreck-It Ralph" will get a sequel treatment with director Rich Moore. Weighing in on the planned follow-up pic, Moore spoke to Coming Soon that he's interested to add another famous character in gaming world to the sequel. He admitted to having set his eyes on Tron.
Moore revealed that Tron, which was portrayed in the big screen by Bruce Boxleitner in 1982's "Tron", was originally intended to make a cameo in the first "Wreck-It Ralph" pic. "I can't specifically remember why that didn't happen," the director recalled.
Failing to bring Tron in the first film, Moore was quite confident that the character would end up becoming part of the "Wreck-It Ralph" sequel. He said, "Of course, with a sequel, I'm hoping that we can find a way to see Tron himself in that movie."
"Wreck-It Ralph" has so far grossed more than $375 million worldwide. The movie is up for Best Animated Feature at the upcoming 85th Academy Awards, competing against "Brave", "Frankenweenie", "ParaNorman" and "The Pirates! Band of Misfits".
Back in November, Moore stated that he's interested in exploring online gaming for the sequel. "Should we be so lucky to do a sequel, I think it'd be great to explore online gaming, home games," he said. "We have some ideas of how we could - it was fun to begin it in an arcade. And I think that that really tapped into the nostalgia that that has attached to it."
Tron would likely be the second famous game character that might appear in the sequel. In December, Moore confirmed that he would also like to have Nintendo's most famous character, Mario, making a cameo in the upcoming movie.