'Beasts of the Southern Wild' brings its helmer in winning the Breakthrough Director prize, while 'Artifact' delivers Jared Leto to win the Audience Choice Award.
Kicking off the movie awards season, the 22nd Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards revealed its winners on Monday night, November 26. Claiming the biggest award of Best Feature was none other than Wes Anderson's highly-praised vintage drama "Moonrise Kingdom", which defeated such contenders as "The Master", "Bernie", "Middle of Nowhere" and "The Loneliest Planet".
Meanwhile, Benh Zeitlin was awarded with Breakthrough Director prize thanks to his acclaimed work in "Beasts of the Southern Wild". "It feels like you're on the yellow brick road sometimes," Zeitlin said upon accepting his award.
Jared Leto's documentary "Artifact" about his band 30 Seconds To Mars took home the Audience Choice Award. When receiving his prize, Leto gushed that he couldn't believe his film could beat "Beasts". He said, "I feel like Beasts of the Southern Wild should be up here. Don't hate me because I won, I love that other film too."
Another surprise that night was "Your Sister's Sister" which won the Best Ensemble Performance gong. The film starring Emily Blunt, Rosemarie DeWitt and Mark Duplas knocked down fan-favorite "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Moonrise Kingdom".
Held in New York, the 2012 Gotham Awards ceremony was hosted by "Sleepwalk With Me" director and star Mike Birbiglia. The star-studded event also paid tribute to "Silver Linings Playbook" helmer David O. Russell, and "Rust and Bone" actress Marion Cotillard.
Gotham Awards 2012 Winners:
- Best Feature: "Moonrise Kingdom"
- Best Documentary: "How to Survive a Plague"
- Best Ensemble Performance: "Your Sister's Sister" (Emily Blunt, Rosemarie DeWitt and Mark Duplass)
- Breakthrough Director: Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Breakthrough Actor: Emayatzy Corinealdi, "Middle of Nowhere"
- Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You: "An Oversimplification of Her Beauty"
- Audience Choice Award: "Artifact"