November 19, 2012 03:28:21 GMT
The 'Safety Not Guaranteed' helmer, who has been rumored to be in the running to helm 'Episode 7', says if he lands the 'Star Wars' directing job he 'will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck.'
A few weeks ago, words ran rampant that indie director Colin Trevorrow was in the mix to direct much-talked-about movie project "Star Wars Episode 7". While the report has yet to be confirmed, the "Safety Not Guaranteed" helmer himself hinted that he could be directing a movie with a big built in fanbase as his next project, prompting speculations that he's indeed in the running to shepherd the new "Star Wars".
"As far as professional life, I can't speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be," so he said in an interview with MacGuffin Podcast, as quoted by Collider. "There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a great deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is," he went on teasing.
Though he didn't specifically mention the name "Star Wars", Trevorrow said that he would take the project seriously should he finally land the highly-coveted gig. "I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all of those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do," so he promised. "And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck."
In another interview with Swedan's Moviezine, Trevorrow elaborated further on his potential involvement in "Episode 7". He said, "I would not comment much on it, but I'm as much a 'Star Wars' fan like everyone else who grew up with it as one of the most important in their lives. I am deeply aware of how incredibly important it is for billions of people. It really is a mythology, and possibly also a religion for many."
"I can not comment on what my involvement would be, but I can definitely say that I would love to direct a 'Star Wars' movie at some point in my life. It would be incredible. I will not be deterred by it. While I understand that every thinking director who cares about the series as much as I do, would be afraid to ruin something. But I also believe that there is a risk that many directors would gladly take, precisely because they care so much about it."
He dished on, "This is a specific example of something that has to feel connected with the earlier films. There will be a sequel to 'Return of the Jedi', in a special world that requires a special style. Whoever makes the film must not deviate too far, at least not with these films... But you know, they will make the 'Star Wars' films as long as we live. Disney has seen what Marvel managed to do, to prove that their universe is infinite. So, the next three films have a responsibility, they are iconic and finishing a story that influenced pop culture for decades."
"But after that, we will get to see some really awesome movies in the 'Star Wars' universe. We will see daring, exciting directors take on crazy Star Wars movies underwater, and everything. And I look forward to seeing them all!"
The big question on who is going direct the new "Star Wars" has become a hot topic since Walt Disney Pictures confirmed the "Episode 7" project was set for a 2015 release after buying George Lucas' Lucasfilm. Matthew Vaughn was also rumored to be in the mix for the directing job, but he hasn't said a word to clarify the report.
On the other hand, a number of A-list filmmakers had said "no" for the project. They included Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Zack Snyder and Lucas' best friend Steven Spielberg. The latest one was Brad Bird, who claimed he's "not doing Star Wars" when a Twitter follower asked him to confirm if he's eyed for the project. He insisted that his next sci-fi project is "1952".
So far, the only thing that has been confirmed about "Star Wars Episode 7" is that it has tapped Oscar winner Michael Ardnt as its screenwriter.