Michael Haneke's Palm d'Or-winning 'Amour' also becomes the highlight of the event, while Ben Affleck's 'Argo' is rumored to be screened as well.
The 2012 Telluride Film Festival has announced its lineup. Highlighting the event, which will kick off on Friday, August 31, are such films as Roger Michell's "Hyde Park on Hudson", Ariel Vromen's "The Iceman", and Jacques Audiard's "Rust & Bone".
"Hyde Park" is a Bill Murray-starring dramedy about President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as he hosted the King and Queen of England in his house in June 1939. "Iceman" stars Michael Shannon as real life assassin Richard Kuklinski who has killed more than 250 people, while "Rust & Bone" is a family drama starring Marion Cotillard.
Another high-profile movie set to be screened at Telluride is Michael Haneke's Palm d'Or-winning romantic movie "Amour". Rumor has it, Ben Affleck's latest directorial effort "Argo" will also be premiered at the event. More announcements from the festival organizer are expected to be released this weekend.
Such critics darling movies as Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master", Terrence Malick's "To the Wonder" and Derek Cianfrance's "The Place Beyond the Pines" are noticeably absent in the lineup.
Speaking about the lineup selection, festival Co-Director Gary Meyer says, "While screening hundreds of new movies for selection, we are looking for narrative and non-fiction films that offer festival goers new experiences, both in the subject matter and the way the filmmakers tell their stories. This year's program offers unique insights into the world today and past history. It is an especially strong year for films told by and about women."
Telluride Film Festival will run from August 31 to September 3.
2012 Telluride Film Festival Lineup:
- "The Act of Killing" (d. Joshua Oppenheimer, Denmark, 2012)
- "Amour" (d. Michael Haneke, Austria, 2012)
- "At Any Price" (d. Ramin Bahrani, U.S., 2012)
- "The Attack" (d. Ziad Doueiri, Lebanon-France, 2012)
- "Barbara" (d. Christian Petzold, Germany, 2012)
- "The Central Park Five" (d. Ken Burns, Sarah Burns, David McMahon, U.S., 2012)
- "Everyday" (d. Michael Winterbottom, U.K., 2012)
- "Frances Ha" (d. Noah Baumbach, U.S., 2012)
- "The Gatekeepers" (d. Dror Moreh, Israel, 2012)
- "Ginger and Rosa" (d. Sally Potter, England, 2012)
- "The Hunt (2012)" (d. Thomas Vinterberg, Denmark, 2012)
- "Hyde Park on Hudson" (d. Roger Michell, U.S., 2012)
- "The Iceman" (d. Ariel Vromen, U.S., 2012)
- "Love, Marilyn" (d. Liz Garbus, U.S., 2012)
- "Midnight's Children" (d. Deepa Mehta, Canada-Sri Lanka, 2012)
- "No" (Pablo Larrain, Chile, 2012)
- "Paradise: Love" (d. Ulrich Seidl, Austria, 2012)
- "Piazza Fontana" (d. Marco Tullio Giordana, Italy, 2012)
- "A Royal Affair" (d. Nikolaj Arcel, Denmark, 2012)
- "Rust & Bone" (d. Jacques Audiard, France, 2012)
- "The Sapphires" (d. Wayne Blair, Australia, 2012)
- "Stories We Tell" (d. Sarah Polley, Canada, 2012)
- "Superstar" (d. Xavier Giannoli, France, 2012)
- "Wadja" (d. Haifaa Al-Mansour, Saudi Arabia, 2012)
- "What Is This Film Called Love?" (d. Mark Cousins, Ireland-Mexico, 2012)