The Kristen Stewart-starring movie opens strong with an estimated $56.3 million cume, snatching the crown from last week's champion 'Men in Black 3'.
"Snow White and the Huntsman" has a victorious debut on North American box office. The modern retelling of the classic fairytale rakes in approximately $56.3 million on its first weekend, winning over "Men in Black 3" which secured the champion title last week.
Earning a better-than-expected domestic gross, the Rupert Sanders-directed movie helps Universal Pictures claim a victory after its last movie "Battleship" stumbled on the chart. "It's a big relief," Nikki Rocco, the president of distribution at the studio, admits.
Though so, the epic action-adventure flick, which stars Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron, only receives an okay "B" rating from CinemaScore. Among the moviegoers buying the tickets, 53% of them are female while 52% are over the age of 30.
Placing second is the third installment of "Men in Black" film franchise, which pulls in an estimated $29.3 million (down 46.3%). "The Avengers" also falls one spot from No. 2 to No. 3, adding approximately $20.3 million to its total domestic gross.
At the fourth place is "Battleship", which rakes in an estimated $4.8 million on its third weekend. Sacha Baron Cohen's "The Dictator" still trails behind the action, sci-fi pic with approximately $4.7 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 01-03:
- "Snow White and the Huntsman" - $56.3 million
- "Men in Black 3" - $29.3 million
- "The Avengers" - $20.3 million
- "Battleship" - $4.8 million
- "The Dictator" - $4.7 million
- "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" - $4.6 million
- "What to Expect When You're Expecting" - $4.4 million
- "Dark Shadows" - $3.9 million
- "Chernobyl Diaries" - $3 million
- "For Greater Glory" - $1.8 million