April 21, 2012 01:11:03 GMT
A representative for the longtime 'American Bandstand' host says that his family 'has not decided' what to do with his ashes, and adds that there 'is nothing firm' yet about a memorial service.
There won't be a funeral for TV icon Dick Clark. Just two days after the former "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host died of a massive heart attack in Santa Monica, California, words came out that his remains have been cremated. His publicist Paul Shefrin confirmed the news to the press on Friday, April 20.
The confirmation came shortly after Entertainment Tonight brought out the report suggesting that Clark's ashes will be scattered over the Pacific Ocean. Of the claim, Shefrin said that "the family has not decided" what to do with the star's ashes. He further added that "no plans have been finalized" and that plans for a memorial service are "still being discussed."
Clark, who had a stroke in 2004, passed away on Wednesday, April 18 morning. The longtime "American Bandstand" host suffered a heart attack while at St. John's Health Center for an outpatient procedure. Attempts to resuscitate the 82-year-old were unsuccessful. He is survived by third wife Kari Wigton, and three children from previous marriages, Richard, Duane and Cindy.
In the wake of Clark's death, tributes and testimonials have been pouring in. Among those expressing the loss in loving words was Ryan Seacrest. "I learned a great deal from him, and I'll always be indebted to him for his faith and support of me," he said. "He was a remarkable host and businessman and left a rich legacy to television audiences around the world. We will all miss him."
Earlier on Friday, the New York Post reported that fans will be given the chance to honor Clark by writing messages on square-inch pieces of the confetti that will shower the Times Square next New Year's Eve. It was also noted that the messages will be displayed at the Times Square Visitor Center & Museum's Confetti Wishing Wall until December 31.