The final installment of the 'Harry Potter' film series grabs the Best Film award, while its director David Yates wins the Best Director prize at this year's Jameson Empire Awards.
While it failed to score Best Film gong at some awards show, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" successfully scooped the top prize at the 2012 Jameson Empire Awards. The final installment of the boy wizard film franchise also brought its helmer David Yates to win the Best Director award at the prize-giving show.
Lead actor Daniel Radcliffe was unable to attend the event to receive the Best Film kudo. Though so, he left a video message where he said, "I'd like to thank the Empire readers for voting for us. I've always been quite a harsh judge of the series, but I was over the moon with this final film. I think we went out on a high note."
Gary Oldman grabbed the Best Actor award for his highly-praised performance in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Upon receiving his kudo, Oldman said, "It's a veteran's win. And I also got a marching band. This is a very special award because it isn't political." As for the Best Actress, Olivia Colman took home the prize thanks to her role as Hannah in "Tyrannosaur".
Meanwhile, comic book movie "Thor" was named the Best Sci-Fi movie at the awards. Its actor, Tom Hiddleston who plays Loki, won the Best Male Newcomer prize. After winning the award, Hiddleston took to his Twitter and wrote, "Um... So I won the Best Male Newcomer Award at the #JEAwards. I am genuinely humbled by it. Thank you so very much to all who voted. Wow."
Felicity Jones bagged the Best Female Newcomer for her role in "Like Crazy". On the other hand, Michael Fassbender was surprised as he was announced as the recipient of Empire Hero Award. "Well, this is kind of unusual, because I always wanted to be a superhero," he said upon receiving his award.
The 2012 Empire Awards was held on Sunday, March 25 at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. The awards were voted entirely by the public. Also spotted attending the prize-giving show were Tim Burton and his partner Helena Bonham Carter, Jeremy Irvine, Sam Claflin, James McAvoy and Chris O'Dowd among others.
The 2012 Jameson Empire Awards Winners:
- Best Film: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II"
- Best Director: David Yates
- Best British Film: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman - "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
- Best Actress: Olivia Colman - "Tyrannosaur"
- Best Thriller: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
- Best Sci-Fi: "Thor"
- Best Comedy: "The Inbetweeners"
- Best Horror: "Kill List"
- Best Male Newcomer: Tom Hiddleston - "Thor"
- Best Female Newcomer: Felicity Jones - "Like Crazy"
- Empire Hero Award: Michael Fassbender
- Empire Legend Award: Tim Burton
- The Art of 3D Award: "The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn"
- Empire Inspiration Award: Ron Howard