It has recently been reported that the man behind "The Muppets" big success, Jason Segel, will not return to its sequel. Weighing in on the swirling rumors, the comedian himself has spoken up to confirm that he will not be committed to the follow-up movie because he wants to "take a little puppet break."
Speaking to Collider during a press junket of his latest dramedy "Jeff Who Lives at Home", Segel claimed that he not only won't be returning as the scribe, but also may not be reprising his role as Gary. "It's true but it's totally amicable," the 32-year-old actor said of his decision.
Explaining why he opted to left the franchise, Segel said, "My goal was to bring 'The Muppets' back and I did that leaving them in very good hands, my writing partner [Nicholas Stoller] and James Bobin the director." He added, "All I wanted to do was to set the stage for them to do whatever they wanted."
"I did what I set out to do, and now I wanna pursue more human-related projects," Segel continued saying. "I'm sure I'll return in some capacity here and there, but that was half a decade of my life. Five years of hard work. I'm ready for a little puppet break."
Previously, Vulture broke the news that Segel might not return as the screenwriter for "The Muppets Sequel". Multiple insiders revealed that the funnyman didn't sign the deal due to his tight schedule. He is currently busy working on his other TV and movie projects.
"The Muppets" was released in the U.S. theaters last November 23, 2011. As of January this year, the movie grossed $87.1 million in North America and $102.1 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing "Muppets" film ever.
Segel himself has signed on to write a sitcom on CBS. He is also busy with promotional events for Judd Apatow's comedy films, "The Five-Year Engagement" which will be the opener for this year's Tribeca Film Festival and "This Is Forty" which will open nationwide in December.