The George Clooney-starring dramedy wins the Best Picture in Drama award, while the French black-and-white silent drama bags the kudo for Best Picture in Musical Comedy.
The full winners of the Golden Globe Awards 2012 have been revealed. Grabbing the coveted Best Drama award was "The Descendants", while "The Artist" won the prize for Best Musical/Comedy. Meanwhile, George Clooney and Meryl Streep were named the Best Actor and Actress in drama for their roles in "The Descendants" and "The Iron Lady" respectively.
Harrison Ford presented the prize for Best Drama to Clooney and producer Alexander Payne. Meanwhile, Jane Fonda handed out the kudo for Best Musical/Comedy to "The Artist" producer who shared a little story about his father's big break during his speech.
Presenting the Best Actor in Drama trophy to Clooney was Natalie Portman. On his speech, Clooney sang praises to his pal Brad Pitt for his works in both films and the world. He then made a joke about Michael Fassbender's penis in "Shame".
Meanwhile, Streep received her Best Actress in Drama trophy from Colin Firth. The veteran actress called her win "a thriller" and "embarrassing" before thanking her agent and Harvey Weinsten. She also credited "everybody in England who let me come in and trample all over their history."
Winning the Best Director prize was Martin Scorsese for his work in "Hugo". Scorsese has knocked down his strong contenders like Woody Allen ("Midnight in Paris"), George Clooney ("The Ides of March"), Michel Hazanavicius ("The Artist"), and Alexander Payne ("The Descendants").
While Michelle Williams won the Best Actress in Comedy/Musical award, "The Artist" lead actor Jean Dujardin collected the Best Actor one. Upon receiving his award, the French actor credited an agent who once told him he would never get a movie since his face was too expressive. "I want to thank him, for letting me prove him wrong," he claimed.
The Golden Globe Awards 2012 was held at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles. The show was hosted by Ricky Gervais. In addition to the movie winners, the prize-giving event announced the winners in TV that included "Homeland" and "Modern Family".
Golden Globe Awards 2012 winners in movie:
- Best Drama: "The Descendants"
- Best Comedy/Musical: "The Artist"
- Best Actress in a Drama: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
- Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy: Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"
- Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help"
- Best Actor in a Drama: George Clooney, "The Descendants"
- Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
- Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
- Best Director: Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"
- Best Animated Film: "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn"
- Best Foreign Language Film: "A Separation"
- Best Screenplay: Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
- Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource, "The Artist"
- Best Original Song: "Masterpiece", "W.E."
- Cecil B. DeMille Award: Morgan Freeman