Rihanna releasing a controversial video, Justin Bieber going public with Selena Gomez, and Charlie Sheen getting fired from 'Two and a Half Men' are the highlights in the first quarter of 2011.
AceShowbiz is back with its annual Kaleidoscope which compiles the most important events in entertainment world throughout a year. If 2010 was marred with celebrity splits, the first quarter of 2011 is no different. High profiled couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel ended their relationship in March. A month prior, Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz filed for divorce.
As one romance fizzles out, another blooms. Teen sensation Justin Bieber finally admitted to the world that he was dating Selena Gomez in February. The happy news continued as Demi Lovato emerged from her rehab stint and announced a comeback. There was also the reunion of the Cyruses and the announcement of Jessica Alba's second pregnancy.
In late January, Rihanna released a music video of her sex-fueled single "S&M" as a jab to the paps. The video, directed by Melina Matsoukas, was a picture of how the press treated celebrities like her. The singer was constricted by a clear plastic against the wall while the reporters jotted down demeaning words such as "slut". In other frames, she was a dominatrix who whipped and put blogger Perez Hilton on a leash. Upon its release, the video was immediately banned in several countries due to its overtly sexual content. Rihanna simply responded via Twitter, "They watched 'Umbrella'... I was full nude."
- Other notable events of the month:
- Jan 03: Longtime couple Mila Kunis and Macaulay Culkin called it quits.
- Jan 04: Taylor Swift split from Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Jan 04: Kellie Pickler wed her fiance Kyle Jacobs.
- Jan 05: Eminem grabbed four trophies at 2011 People's Choice Awards.
- Jan 05: Eminem and Katy Perry scored 2010 U.S. best-selling album and song.
- Jan 06: David Arquette went to rehab.
- Jan 06: Homeless man Ted Williams appeared on national television for the first time.
- Jan 07: Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr welcomed a baby boy.
- Jan 07: Taylor Swift was named Billboard's 2010 top-selling and most-played artist.
- Jan 07: History Channel decided not to air "The Kennedys" due to unfitting theme.
- Jan 10: Shakira announced separation from boyfriend of 11 years.
- Jan 12: CBS announced that Skeet Ulrich would no longer be part of "Law & Order: Los Angeles" for creative reason.
- Jan 16: Teresa Scanlan from Nebraska was crowned as 2011 Miss America.
- Jan 16: "Boardwalk Empire" and "Glee" won the highest honor at 68th Golden Globes Awards.
- Jan 16: "The Social Network" won Best Drama title at the 68th Golden Globe Awards.
- Jan 16: "Hannah Montana" ended its four-year run on Disney Channel with record rating.
- Jan 18: Katie Price confirmed split from Alex Reid.
- Jan 21: Monica secretly eloped with Shannon Brown.
- Jan 23: Regis Philbin announced live that he's quiting "Live With Regis and Kelly".
- Jan 24: Ted Williams ditched rehab only a few days after checking into the facility.
- Jan 24: Lil Wayne announced I Am Music II Tour with Nicki Minaj.
- Jan 25: Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem welcomed a baby boy.
- Jan 27: Kate Hudson confirmed she's pregnant with Matthew Bellamy's baby.
- Jan 28: Demi Lovato was out of rehab.
- Jan 30: David Arquette left rehab.
- Jan 30: Henry Cavill was cast as the new Superman.
- Jan 31: Rihanna premiered controversial music video for "S&M".
For almost a year, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez had been dodging questions about their relationship's status, but they could no longer deny the romance when paparazzi managed to capture them kissing on a yacht. The young couple eventually went public with their romance on February 27 at the Vanity Fair Oscar after-party, holding hands and posing together on the red carpet. Few days later love-struck Bieber tweeted to Gomez "I miss you" and she tweeted back, "I miss all of y'all."
- Other notable events of the month:
- Feb 02: MTV confirmed the revival of their '90s cartoon "Beavis and Butthead".
- Feb 06: Christina Aguilera messed up the Nation Anthem lyrics at 2011 Super Bowl.
- Feb 08: Olivia Wilde ended marriage with her longtime husband.
- Feb 08: Tarsem Singh's "Snow White" movie got Julia Roberts as the villainous evil queen.
- Feb 08: "Glee" announced 2011 North American tour dates.
- Feb 09: Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz filed for divorce.
- Feb 09: Lindsay Lohan was officially charged with felony grand theft for allegedly stealing jewelry.
- Feb 10: Camille and Kelsey Grammer's divorce was finalized.
- Feb 10: D'Angelo and Amanda were crowned the first winners of "Live to Dance".
- Feb 11: Michael Rosenbaum finally confirmed his return to "Smallville".
- Feb 13: Eminem and Lady GaGa won multiple nods at 2011 Grammy Awards.
- Feb 16: Lance Armstrong ended his racing career.
- Feb 16: Adrianne Palicki announced as the new "Wonder Woman".
- Feb 17: Britney Spears unleashed advertisement-friendly music video for "Hold It Against Me".
- Feb 18: Justin Bieber was named MVP at NBA Celebrity All-Star Game.
- Feb 20: Dianna Agron split from Alex Pettyfer and moved out of their love nest.
- Feb 20: Kanye West dropped seizure-risked music video for "All of the Light".
- Feb 21: Justin Bieber cut his famous hair flip and debuted a more mature look.
- Feb 21: Matthew Morrison was spotted kissing Olivia Munn on public.
- Feb 22: Chris Brown's restraining order against Rihanna was officially lifted.
- Feb 24: Jessie J confirmed that she's bisexual.
- Feb 26: Kelsey Grammer got married to his fiancee in a Broadway theater.
- Feb 26: James Franco was locked to star in Sam Raimi's "Oz, the Great and Powerful".
- Feb 27: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez went public with their romance by attending 2011 Oscar after-party together.
- Feb 27: "The King's Speech" was named Best Picture at 2011 Academy Awards.
- Feb 28: Lady GaGa debuted "Born This Way" music video.
After weeks of erratic behavior which jeopardized the production of "Two and a Half Men", Charlie Sheen was fired on March 7. The kicking out of the actor from the show was not only due to his personal troubles but also because of his insult toward the show's creator Chuck Lorre. Responding to the termination, Sheen called it "very good news". A few days later, he launched a $100 million lawsuit against WB and Lorre accusing them of not having the basis to fire him.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Mar 02: Christina Aguilera was arrested for public intoxication.
- Mar 02: Lil Wayne premiered music video for his first post-prison single "6 Foot 7 Foot".
- Mar 03: Serena Williams was hospitalized for blood clot in her lungs.
- Mar 04: Mike Myers' secret marriage with Kelly Tisdale was confirmed by rep.
- Mar 04: John Legend and The Roots dominated 2011 NAACP Image Awards with double victories.
- Mar 04: Disney Channel announced new title of "Sonny with a Chance" without Demi Lovato.
- Mar 04: Charlie Sheen set world record shortly after joining Twitter.
- Mar 05: Nude picture of Chris Brown leaked out.
- Mar 07: Charlie Sheen was fired from "Two and a Half Men".
- Mar 08: BP Oil Rig tragedy would be made into a movie.
- Mar 09: Selena Gomez debuted "Who Says" music video.
- Mar 11: Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel called it quits.
- Mar 11: "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn" filming was delayed due to Tsunami warning.
- Mar 10: Michael Jackson's second official posthumous single "Hollywood Tonight" got a music video.
- Mar 12: Jewel Kilcher was released from hospital after being involved in car crash.
- Mar 14: Rebecca Black created viral commotion with her poorly-reviewed single "Friday".
- Mar 14: Brad Womack proposed to mother of one, Emily Maynard, on "The Bachelor" finale.
- Mar 15: Gilbert Gottfried got fired from his gig in voicing Aflac Duck after making fun of Japan disaster.
- Mar 16: Black Eyed Peas unveiled "Just Can't Get Enough" music video (Tribute to Japan).
- Mar 16: Vanessa Hudgens worked with cops after more of her nude photos leaked.
- Mar 16: Nate Dogg died of complications from strokes at the age of 41.
- Mar 16: Justin Bieber unveiled his wax figure.
- Mar 17: Darren Aronofsky left "The Wolverine".
- Mar 17: Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa won 2011 mtvU Woodie Awards at SXSW Festival.
- Mar 18: Representative confirmed Joe Jonas' split from Ashley Greene.
- Mar 18: Billy Ray Cyrus announced he has called off divorce from wife Tish.
- Mar 21: Ricky Martin won Vito Russo Trophy at 2011 GLAAD Media Awards.
- Mar 22: Soulja Boy lost his little half-brother in a car accident.
- Mar 23: Elizabeth Taylor passed away after suffering from congestive heart failure.
- Mar 23: Chris Brown smashed a window at the "Good Morning America" studio in Times Square.
- Mar 25: Tom Hanks made his return to network TV in more than 20 years through his guest starring gig on "30 Rock".
- Mar 26: Reese Witherspoon married agent Jim Toth at her ranch estate in Ojai, California.
Next to Part 2 » | Next to Part 3 » | Next to Part 4»