The 'Skyscraper' singer wins the kudo for her role on 'Sonny with a Chance', while the coveted Favorite TV Series title goes to 'Desperate Housewives'.
Demi Lovato was honored at the 2011 ALMA Awards which took place on September 10 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in Los Angeles. The 19-year-old beauty was named Favorite Leading Actress in a TV Comedy for her role on "Sonny with a Chance" although she had quit the Disney Channel sitcom earlier this year.
Lovato beat out the likes of Naya Rivera, Victoria Justice as well good friend Selena Gomez to take home the prize. The "Camp Rock" star, who stunned the crowd in a nude gown by Maria Lucia Hohan, additionally took the stage at the annual award show to perform her hit single "Skyscraper".
Also honored at the ceremony was long-running ABC show "Desperate Housewives" which came out as Favorite TV Series winner. Coming to represent the drama comedy show were Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria, who was serving as a host along with George Lopez.
Lopez, whose show "Lopez Tonight" was recently axed by TBS, also bagged one kudo since he was chosen as Favorite TV Reality, Variety, or Comedy Personality or Act. Other winners that night included Adam Rodriguez ("CSI: Miami"), Cote de Pablo ("NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service"), Maria Canals Barrera ("Wizards of Waverly Place") and Rico Rodriguez ("Modern Family").
This year's ALMA Awards will air on Friday, September 16 from 8:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. EDT on NBC. Pitbull and Gloria Estefan were also booked as musical guests in addition to Lovato. Presented by National Council of La Raza, the awards are given to Latino entertainers who "promote positive portrayals of Latinos" through TV, movie, music and others.
2011 ALMA Award winners in TV:
- Favorite TV Series: "Desperate Housewives"
- Favorite TV Actor in a Leading Role: Adam Rodriguez - "CSI: Miami"
- Favorite Leading Actress in a TV Drama: Cote de Pablo - "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service"
- Favorite Leading Actress in a TV Comedy: Demi Lovato - "Sonny with a Chance"
- Favorite TV Actress in a Supporting Role: Maria Canals Barrera - "Wizards of Waverly Place"
- Favorite TV Actor in a Supporting Role: Rico Rodriguez - "Modern Family"
- Favorite TV Reality, Variety, or Comedy Personality: George Lopez - "Lopez Tonight"