Efforts Being Taken to Make 'Lone Ranger' and 'Dark Tower' Happen


Efforts Being Taken to Make 'Lone Ranger' and 'Dark Tower' Happen


Words are, Gore Verbinski tries to press the budget of the Johnny Depp-starring film, while Ron Howard tries to find another studio to develop the movie adaptation of Stephen King's novel.

"The Lone Ranger" still has a chance to get its big-screen treatment. Although it was previously reported that Walt Disney Pictures had shut down the project, director Gore Verbinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer are said to resolve the budgetary dispute and make the project back in the saddle.

A source related to the dealmaking of the film told The Hollywood Reporter, "It all starts with [Verbinski]." The source explained, "If there is any saving this version of the movie, he'll have to find substantial savings. If he can, maybe we can hold this together."

It was also said that Verbinski, Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp have agreed to cut off some of their compensation as a part of attempts to press down the budget to $230 million. The filmmakers are also willing to axe some expensive computer-generated scenes in the film. However, representatives for both Disney and the filmmakers have yet to make any comment to clarify the issue.

Contacted via email last Tuesday, August 16, Depp said he is optimist that the adventure film project is still going to happen. "I think everything will work out as it should," so Depp shared in a message from London, where he is currently filming "Dark Shadows" with Tim Burton.

"Lone Ranger" was actually dubbed as a potential big film coming out at the end of 2012. The project has locked Depp to play Tonto and Armie Hammer as the titular character. In the film, both Lone Ranger and Tonto will embark on an adventure to bring an unscrupulous gang, led by Butch Cavendish, to justice.

Another Western film project which might have a chance to be back on the development after being hit with a budgetary issue is "The Dark Tower". Director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer are reportedly still struggling to finance the film installment of Stephen King's novel after Universal refused to develop the project.

Grazer told New York Post's Page Six that the project will have to be put off until next year, but he said that Howard is still "trying to get outside financing to make it, and distribute it through a major [studio]."

The plan was to make "Dark Tower" into three movies and a spin-off TV series. Javier Bardem is expected to take on the lead role as gunslinger Roland Deshain, who travels to find a dark tower that is said to be a magical portal to other worlds.

© AceShowbiz.com


MORE FROM NEWS

Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with *

   

TODAY'S HEADLINES

  1. Charlie Sheen Opens Up About His Wild Night With Lindsay Lohan: 'She Literally Tucked Me In'
  2. It's Over! Kim Kardashian 'Pulling the Plug' on Her Marriage to Kanye West
  3. Khloe Kardashian Reveals Secret to Her Big and Perky Butt
  4. Britney Spears Freaks Out After Sex Tape Leaks Online
  5. Report: Drake Dating Legendary Singer Sade Adu
  6. Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
  7. Ryan Gosling May Dump Eva Mendes as Reports of Her Past Affair Emerge
  8. Report: Generous George Clooney Under FBI Investigation for Money Laundering
  9. Sleepyhead Madonna Leaves Kids Starving at Daughter's Birthday Bash
  10. Chris Brown Wants to Go to Therapy to Make Things Truly Work With Rihanna

CELEBS PHOTO