June 22, 2011 17:59:38 GMT
The Hollywood hunk and his former Italian girlfriend released a statement to ask for privacy in the difficult time.
Elisabetta Canalis apparently is not George Clooney's last harbor. The former couple who dated for two years have released a joint statement to announce that they are no longer together. "We are not together anymore. It's very difficult and very personal, and we hope everyone can respect our privacy," the statement which was released on Wednesday, June 22 read.
Clooney and Canalis, who went public with their relationship in September 2009 during Venice Film Festival, were seen enjoying a meal together only last week in Italy. They also celebrated his 50th birthday in May for a dinner at Chinese restaurant Mr Chow.
Canalis said back in February that she was settled by only getting the status as girlfriend. "(Getting pregnant has) never been an objective for me. My maternal desires are fully satisfied with my dogs," she told Italian Cosmo, adding "I love it (being the girlfriend of a Hollywood star) to bits. I am happy to participate at events as 'the girlfriend of'."