In a press release, executive VP of CBS Entertainment said they are looking forward to what surprises the 'How I Met Your Mother' star would bring this year.
Previously only a rumor, the report that Neil Patrick Harris has been invited back as Tony Awards host is now made official. He would lead the 65th ceremony which is held at the Beacon Theater in New York City on June 12 this year.
"I'm honored and stoked to have been asked to host the 2011 Tony Awards," he said in a statement. "It should be a great show, we've got a fantastic mix of live performances, a few secret surprises, and since they've closed for retooling, we're using all the rigging equipment from 'Spider-Man.' What could possibly go wrong?"
Harris first hosted the awards show for plays in 2009 where he performed an impressive opening number and even received an Emmy for Outstanding Special Class Program in 2010. He's also a stage star and a director. His latest production "Rent" opened in August last year at L.A.'s Hollywood Bowl.
"We are thrilled to have Neil Patrick Harris return as host of The TONY Awards," said Jack Sussman, Executive Vice President, Specials, Music and Live Events at CBS Entertainment. "His Emmy Award-winning performance from 2009 is a testament to his enormous talent. The audience loves him - he's a star. We look forward to what surprises he may bring to this year's show. Anything can happen - and with Neil, it usually does!"