February 07, 2011 10:04:36 GMT
Initially planned to kick off principal photography in February, the two-part movie will now start filming on March 21.
A new production date for "The Hobbit" has been announced on Monday, February 7. 3Foot7 Ltd states that the film will begin shooting on Monday, March 21, which is about a month later than the previously aimed February start date.
"This date has been chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons," the announcement says. "Shooting will take place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand."
Director Peter Jackson adds, "Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started." The helmer himself might become a factor in the delay since he recently underwent surgery to treat a perforated ulcer and is now in recovery after released from hospital on February 3.
"The Hobbit" will be split into two films which are going to be shot back to back. The first part is projected for December 2012 release, while "The Hobbit 2" is planned to come out in December 2013.
Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis, Sylvester McCoy and Elijah Wood are some of the stars set to shoot the movie. Saoirse Ronan was recently said to join the cast ensemble to play Itaril, but her name is still not mentioned on the current official line-up.