Leading the pack with four kudos was 'The Hurt Locker', which was chosen as the winner in Best Motion Picture (Drama) category.
International Press Academy has announced the winners of 2009 Satellite Awards in Movie on Sunday, December 20. Coming out as a big winner was "The Hurt Locker" which took home four gongs, one of which was Best Motion Picture (Drama) award.
Additionally, the Iraq-set drama action earned Best Director prize for Kathryn Bigelow and Best Actor (Drama) for Jeremy Renner. The other award for the movie was from Best Film Editing category, which was given to Chris Innis and Bob Murawski.
Other winners at the 14th Annual Satellite Awards were "Nine" and "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", which took home two gongs each. The drama musical was crowned Best Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical) beside earning Best Cinematography gong for Dion Beebe. The indie film, in the meantime, won Best Supporting Actress award for Mo'nique and Best Adapated Screenplay prize for Geoffrey Fletcher.
Also nabbing two prizes was "2012 (2009)". The apocalyptic flick won Visual Effects and Sound (Editing and Mixing) awards. Moreover, Meryl Streep grabbed Best Actress (Comedy or Musical) kudo through her performance in "Julie & Julia", while Christoph Waltz was honored with Best Supporting Actor for his role of Col. Hans Landa in "Inglourious Basterds".
The gala of 2009 Satellite Awards was held at the InterContinental Hotel in Century City, CA. The event also honored television in 14 categories.
Full winners list of 14th Annual Satellite Awards in Movie:
- Best Motion Picture (Drama): "The Hurt Locker"
- Best Actor (Drama): Jeremy Renner - "The Hurt Locker"
- Best Actress (Drama): Shohreh Aghdashloo - "The Stoning of Soraya M."
- Best Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical): "Nine"
- Best Actor (Comedy or Musical): Michael Stuhlbarg - "A Serious Man"
- Best Actress (Comedy/Musical): Meryl Streep - "Julie & Julia"
- Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz - "Inglourious Basterds"
- Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique - "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow - "The Hurt Locker"
- Best Original Score: Rolfe Kent - "Up in the Air"
- Original Song: "The Weary Kind" from "Crazy Heart"
- Foreign-Language Film: "The Maid" and "Broken Embraces" (tie)
- Animated/Mixed-Media Film: "The Fantastic Mr. Fox"
- Documentary: "Every Little Step"
- Original Screenplay: Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber - "500 Days of Summer"
- Adapted Screenplay: Geoffrey Fletcher - "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Cinematography: Dion Beebe - "Nine"
- Visual Effects: "2012 (2009)"
- Editing: Chris Innis and Bob Murawski - "The Hurt Locker"
- Sound (Editing and Mixing): "2012 (2009)"
- Art Direction and Production Design: Ian Philips and Dan Bishop - "A Single Man"
- Costume Design: Monique Prudhomme - "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"