June 12, 2009 04:49:28 GMT
Not wanting to sacrifice on the artistic direction, creators of 'My Name Is Earl' prefer to break off the deal with TBS.
The plan to reincarnate "My Name Is Earl" has been terminated after TBS has canceled its plan to pick up the series left by NBC. "TBS was in the very early stages of discussions with Fox about 'My Name is Earl,' and we are disappointed that we were not able to reach an agreement," the cable channel said in a statement.
Creators were in "preliminary conversations" earlier this week to have the comedy series airing on TBS after they failed to pitch it to other networks such as FOX and ABC. Re-run episodes have been streaming on TBS but the numbers could not meet the financial demand to produce new episodes.
"My Name Is Earl" which is a single camera comedy starring Jason Lee as Earl J. Hickey, thus officially ends on season 4. One possible reason for not ordering fifth season is because the license fees are about to be increased, meaning costs like cast salaries are going up.
"While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series," 20th Century Fox Television which is producing the series said. "As none of us, Greg (Garcia) included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that 'Earl' will continue."
However, TBS and Fox have reached a separate deal to have the past episodes repeated for upcoming Fall season. On the last note, Fox said it was "grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series."