2008 blockbuster movie 'The Dark Knight' swept the 2009 Jameson Empire Awards, collecting three of the top kudos as well as earning a special commemoration award for its actor Heath Ledger.
On Sunday, March 29, winners of the 2009 Jameson Empire Awards have been announced and "The Dark Knight" has displayed its dominance by winning three kudos on the night. The superhero movie, which has collected two of this year's Oscars, brought home Best Film, Best Director for Christopher Nolan and Best Actor for Christian Bale.
Receiving the Best Film prize on the ceremony held at London's Grosvenor Hotel were executive producer Kevin De La Noy and Scarecrow depicter Cillian Murphy. "On behalf of Chris and Chuck, thank you to Empire for your support up to and since release," De La Noy said upon accepting the kudo. "It was an extraordinary film to work on and thank you for this."
Meanwhile, both Nolan and Bale were not present to accept their gong in person. Still, they sent video messages, thanking Empire magazine readers and other voters who have shown great supports. On the occasion, "Dark Knight" late actor Heath Ledger was also given a special commemoration tribute for his big part in the impressive success of the movie.
Aside from "The Dark Knight", "RocknRolla", "Quantum of Solace" and "Wanted (2008)" were among the winners on the special night. They each took home Best British Film, Best Thriller and Best Sci-Fi / Superhero respectively. Academy Award-winning director for "Slumdog Millionaire", Danny Boyle, has also been presented with the Outstanding Contribution To British Film.
In the performers category, "Quantum" actress Gemma Arterton, who had been nominated two years running, has finally nailed the Best Newcomer title. The 23-year-old best over fellow nominees, Robert Pattinson, Jim Sturgess, Toby Kebell and Hayley Atwell. "I'm completely winging this. I never prepare for anything," she said when accepting the award. "Watching that I realize how wonderful all the nominees are, really and truly, especially Toby [Kebbell] who's a good friend of mine. But thank you all very much, it does mean a lot. Have a great night everyone!"
Complete winners list of the 2009 Jameson Empire Awards:
- Best Film: "The Dark Knight"
- Best British Film: "RocknRolla"
- Best Comedy: "Son of Rambow"
- Best Horror: "Eden Lake"
- Best Thriller: "Quantum of Solace"
- Best Sci-Fi / Superhero: "Wanted (2008)"
- Best Director: Christopher Nolan, "The Dark Knight"
- Best Actor: Christian Bale, "The Dark Knight"
- Best Actress: Helena Bonham Carter, "Sweeney Todd"
- Best Newcomer: Gemma Arterton, "Quantum of Solace"
- Actor of Our Lifetime: Russell Crowe
- Best Soundtrack: "Mamma Mia!"
- Done in 60 Seconds Award: "Jerry Maguire"
- Outstanding Contribution to British Film: Danny Boyle
- Empire Icon: Viggo Mortensen