At 2009 BRITs, Duffy grabbed Best Female Solo Artist, MasterCard British Album and British Breakthrough Act, while Kings of Leon got two nods; International Group and International Album.
Winners for this year's BRIT Awards have been announced at a ceremony taking place on February 18 at London's Earls Court. Duffy was revealed as the one who led the pack, walking away with three trophies out of four categories she was nominated at the awards.
Bagging an honor as Best Female Solo Artist, Duffy won over Adele, Beth Rowley, Estelle and M.I.A.. She added another prize to her collection in MasterCard British Album for her debut effort "Rockferry" after a stiff competition against Coldplay's "Viva La Vida", Elbow's "The Seldom Seen Kid", Radiohead's "In Rainbows" and The Ting Tings' "We Started Nothing".
Duffy got her third award in British Breakthrough Act, once again pushing aside Adele and The Ting Tings in addition to beating down The Last Shadow Puppets and Scouting for Girls. "Oh my gosh, I don't mean to be greedy," so she said after she was presented with the award by Blur's bassist Alex James.
Following Duffy's domination were Kings of Leon with two kudos. The Grammy Award-winning rock band from Nashville received two prizes, bagging International Group and International Album, the latter they got for their fourth studio album "Only by the Night". In those two categories, they beat down AC/DC, Fleet Foxes, The Killers and MGMT.
Winners list of 2009 BRIT Awards:
- British Female Solo Artist: Duffy
- International Female Solo Artist: Katy Perry
- British Breakthrough Act: Duffy
- International Group: Kings Of Leon
- British Male Solo Artist: Paul Weller
- International Album: Kings Of Leon - "Only by the Night"
- British Live Act: Iron Maiden
- British Group: Elbow
- Critics' Choice Award: Florence and the Machine
- International Male Solo Artist: Kanye West
- British Single: Girls Aloud - "The Promise"
- MasterCard British Album: Duffy - "Rockferry"
- Outstanding Contribution to Music: Pet Shop Boys