'The Secret Life of Bees' and 'Ugly Betty' add up their nominations count for the 40th NAACP Image Awards as the nominees for the directing categories are finally announced.
Completing the list of nominees for the 40th NAACP Image Awards, the NAACP has at long last come out with the announcement of the directing nomination for motion picture, comedy series and dramatic series. On Tuesday, January 27, it is revealed that "The Secret Life of Bees" and "Ugly Betty" are among those receiving the nods.
In addition to the previous eight gongs "The Secret Life of Bees" collected, the Southern-set drama has scored a directing nom for helmer Gina Prince Bythewood. For the title, Bythewood is put up against Darnell Martin of "Cadillac Records", Patrik Ian Polk of "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom", Spike Lee of "Miracle at St. Anna" and Tyler Perry of "The Family That Preys".
Meanwhile, the NAACP noms collection of "Ugly Betty" grew as the television drama comedy received another nod, placing director Victor Nelli, Jr. on the run for the Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series title. Victor Nelli, Jr. will be contending against Kevin Sullivan of "30 Rock", Ali LeRoi of "Everybody Hates Chris", Ken Whittingham of "Entourage" and Tracee Ellis Ross of "Girlfriends".
Aside from the two categories, nominees for directing dramatic series episodes have also been uncovered. They included Anthony Hemingway of "Heroes", Eriq LaSalle of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", Ernest Dickerson of "Lincoln Heights", Paris Barclay of "In Treatment" and Seith Mann of "The Wire".
The 40th NAACP Image Awards will air live from Los Angeles' Shrine Auditorium on Thursday, February 12 (8:00 - 10:00 P.M. ET/PT Tape-delayed) on FOX. It will be hosted by Academy Award-winner Halle Berry and acclaimed screenwriter/actor Tyler Perry, both recipients of an NAACP Image Award. On the occasion, artists Elizabeth Catlett-Mora, Jonathan Green and Sam Gilliam will be presented with Key of Life Award.
Detailed nominees list in the directing category for 40th NAACP Image Awards:
Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series:
- Ali LeRoi, "Everybody Hates Chris"; episode "Everybody Hates Port Authority"
- Ken Whittingham, "Entourage"; episode "Seth Green Day"
- Kevin Sullivan, "30 Rock"; episode "MILF Island"
- Tracee Ellis Ross, "Girlfriends"; episode "What's Black-A-Lackin"
- Victor Nelli, Jr., "Ugly Betty"; episode "Crush'd"
- Anthony Hemingway, "Heroes"; episode "Chapter Five: Angels and Monsters"
- Eriq LaSalle, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"; episode "PTSD"
- Ernest Dickerson, "Lincoln Heights"; episode "The Day Before Tomorrow"
- Paris Barclay, "In Treatment"; episode "Alex-Week 8"
- Seith Mann, "The Wire"; episode "The Dickensian Aspect"
- Darnell Martin, "Cadillac Records"
- Gina Prince Bythewood, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Patrik Ian Polk, "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom"
- Spike Lee, "Miracle at St. Anna"
- Tyler Perry, "The Family That Preys"